Blitz Black John Deere (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2fpower

SILVER Star
Threads
So, been reading about using Blitz Black and wondered if anyone has experience spraying it?

I bought the quart container and it looks like it just needs a small amount of paint thinner - not laquer thinner added for spraying.

I was planning on blacking out my hood due to the clearcoat fading off, so any help is appreciated.

Thought I would deposit the informaiton I have found.....

this is from blitzblack dot com

John Deere Blitz Black is a suede/satin black enamel paint manufactured by Valspar. It's manufactured for use on their farm equipment. It's durability, look and low cost (around $25 a gallon) have
become popular with custom car builders and hot rodders to give their car the old "hot rod" look that won't fade away and is very durable to the elements.

This paint can be applied anywhere including high heat areas.

According to John Deere, you CAN paint over John Deere Blitz Black with another coat of Enamel paint.

(I can confirm this as I have painted over my Blitz Black paint job with generic enamel paint when I painted the flames on my car.)

John Deere ( Low Gloss ) Blitz Black Paint is available in 12 Oz. spray cans and quart containers.

Some things you should know -

* JDBB is Not for Sale In California, it does not comply with CARB VOC limits*
* JDBB MUST SHIP UPS GROUND*
* It is not available for sale to Alaska or Hawaii
* It has a Lead-free formulations that is user-friendly and environmentally safe
* JDBB is Suitable for exterior or interior use
* It is a High-quality, long-lasting, color-fast paint for weather-proven performance in field testing
* Produces a finish that sets up in minutes, is tack free in a few hours, and dries overnight to a hard, glossy film
* Resists fading, cracking, and chipping
* May be applied directly to metal, plastic, or wood without using a primer (John Deere primer is recommended for improved corrosion resistance)

Hardner.. found on other sites the hardner is very important, but hard to find. Valspar makes it under another line. hitch restoration hardner, and sold at tractor supply nationwide.

This is from another post:

You could spray Blitz Black over dried milk and it would stick. My paint guy says if you have any doubts shoot a sealer before the paint, but that Blitz Black will stick to anything.

Basically although re-banded for John Deer, Blitz Black come from Valspar BPS Agricultural Restoration Series Tractor & Implement product line. In regards to hardener. Aside from Renew REN3001 John Deere's part number as well. I was able to find out Valspar sells two other enamel hardener products one is 3389 16FL. OZ. (Pint) and also sells a 1/2 pint labeled hitch restoration Hardener from there truck and trailer line (part Number not known) ingredients are identical. 1/2 can cost $9.98 and is enough for 2 quarts and the 16oz (pint) is good for an entire Gallon of enamel. 16 oz cost 19.95 from Tractor Supply and you can buy per can as needed opposed to a case. Both the 8oz and the 16oz can be purchased from tractor supply co. Find a dealer Page Not Found type in ZIP

Agricultural Restoration Series Tractor & Implement Hardener ingredients.

53880-05-0.....Cycloaliphatic
-----------------Polyisocyanate
123-86-4........N-Butyl Acetate
64742-95-6.....Aromatic Naphtha
95-63-6..........1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene

1 pint per Gallon of Paint or otherwise 8:1:1

8 Parts Enamel Paint Valspar PBS or most re-branded John Deere paint
1 Part Reducer \ Thinner
1 Part Hardener

with harder wait 30 Minute Activation Period prior to spray ......Pot life after mix with Hardnener is 8 Hrs. I'm cross referencing this with Valspar autofinishing product line Acrylic Enamel Hardener to see if this too has same ingredients. That product is also 16 oz and same price per can.

Dry to touch wo\Hardener 2-4 Hrs. and 15-30 minutes with Hardener
Dry to Handle wo\Hardener 24-36 Hrs. and 2-4 Hrs. with Hardener.

As with all enamels Hardener is highly recommended (rocker panel, wheel wells and hood area especially and with potential gloss enhancment may as well do the entire vehicle so blending is not a problem. The extra $19 to an already inexpensive solution is worth it IMO

My 2 cents to help out fellow DIY rodder folk.....cheers

This is a link to an awesome discussion on the paint

John Deere Blitz Black??
51delivery 003.jpg
SS0057.jpg

Last edited:
More information from the H.A.M.B: Where can I get "Blitz Black" - THE H.A.M.B.

And some particulars...

This paint can also be purchased at a John Deer dealer:
The following part numbers are from> BlitzBlack - The real "HotRod Black."

John Deere Blitz Black paint: TY25669 (formerly TY6416)
John Deere Primer: TY25659 (Formerly TY6457)
John Deere Reducer: TY25650 (Formerly PT158)
John Deere Hardener: REN3001
Additional part numbers/updates:

Low VOC Blitz Black paint: TY25825 (1 gal), TY25826 (1 qt)
Regular Blitz Black paint (not Low VOC): TY25642 (1 qt)
Buff Primer-Sealer: TY25659 (1 gal), TY25649 (1 qt)
Regular Reducer (not Low VOC, not Fast Drying): TY25650 (1 gal), TY25652 (1 qt)

Dealer Locator
http://dealerlocator.deere.com/servl...GDkmUUhinR1QMN

Last edited:
One thing to watch for is that the hardner is very hard to get in my area from even the large dealers, so the tractor supply was the only place I could get it locally. If you plan to do this, I would recommend ordering online.

2f, I am looking at using a "Hot Rod" matte paint as well.. I've read the shine is a bit too glossy to be considered a true matte/satin look. I've seen pics online but they don't show the true shine factor.

Have you used or compared this material to say the SEM, Eastwood, or others to compare shine?

Yes, and it looks like you can get everything online for a good price and shipping isn't that bad.

Thanks for any input.

We used it to paint my 16 yr olds 92 GTI (his 1st car). He wanted that rat rod matte black but wanted it to be more of a "satin/matte" look instead of just plain flat & that is exactly what Blitz Black is. VERY inexpensive too. For less then $80 we bought a gallon of paint, a gallon of the JD primer & a quart of the reducer & had quite a bit left after painting 4 coats on it. (my step brother actually laid the paint & it was his first "all over" paint job as he is a touch up paint guy by trade)

I agree not flat, but more of a satin look. It looks much like my powdercoating on my 40.

I have not compared it to the others..... for the same money as a quart of flattening agent for UE, I had all the paint, thinner and hardner. SOLD.

pics of hood blackout

Here are some pics....
045.jpg
046.jpg

I like the look of the Blitz Black. I'm a long way from doing any painting but I do plan to go with a light color on the body with the wheels and other trim done in black. Has anyone used this combo on their rig that has pictures?

I like the sheen and the price of the blitz black. I am wondering if I can add some white base to make it more of a grey/silver sheen. Anyone know if this is possible?

Keeping this thread alive..

A Few years ago, I came across this bentley at a car dealer. Awesome flat/satin silver paint.

Anyone know of a flat silver paint?

Wondering if you could add white to Blitz black and come up with a silver?
Picture 5719.jpg

BTTT for BLITZ BLACK!

BMW started doing some matte colors in recent years and "Frozen Silver" is one of them.

Thanks for the information. I decided to try plasti-dip and see how it turns out.

Keeping this thread alive..

A Few years ago, I came across this bentley at a car dealer. Awesome flat/satin silver paint.

Anyone know of a flat silver paint?

Wondering if you could add white to Blitz black and come up with a silver?
View attachment 667777

Definitely not. You'd get some shade of grey, unless either the black or the white had the little spangly bits that make silver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom