Blits Bonnets, 80 hood scoop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would consider it if we had a similar option in the states. Im sure it would help keep the LS underhood temps better. Mine get a little warm while towing. No way would I have it shipped from Australia. Pricing is pretty fair imo.

The hood cost is about $725 US the shipping doubles that. If it was in the states I would have done it. I also just can get past the payment risk.

I have decided to go with the other option. I ordered a 79 series hood with a scoop. I plan to graft 79 series center scoop into the 80 series hood. This way it will be all metal. In the end it will cost me a little less than buying the blits hood but the purchase was safer.

The hood cost is about $725 US the shipping doubles that. If it was in the states I would have done it. I also just can get past the payment risk.

I have decided to go with the other option. I ordered a 79 series hood with a scoop. I plan to graft 79 series center scoop into the 80 series hood. This way it will be all metal. In the end it will cost me a little less than buying the blits hood but the purchase was safer.

Pics when its done! I need something better for my 6bt swap too!

I have a intercooled 6bt cummins in my cruiser. I want a vented hood to provide more air flow under the hood to reduce temperature around the turbo and ac lines.

I don't see how changing the hood makes a cruiser less cable, regardless of your reason for doing it.
Driving off-road in most cases is dusty and dirty, the hood scoop will undoubtably introduce more dust over the entire engine, add incoming rain water and you'er just asking for problems. Theres a reason that most hood scoops and vents are fake / just for show even on most on-road vehicles. When I'm 30 miles out on a 4WD trail where no tow truck will save me I want the most reliable LC possible. I understand the need for additional cooling but you may be solving one problem but in the long term creating another.

Driving off-road in most cases is dusty and dirty, the hood scoop will undoubtably introduce more dust over the entire engine, add incoming rain water and you'er just asking for problems. Theres a reason that most hood scoops and vents are fake / just for show even on most on-road vehicles. When I'm 30 miles out on a 4WD trail where no tow truck will save me I want the most reliable LC possible. I understand the need for additional cooling but you may be solving one problem but in the long term creating another.

Toyota designed the 79 series with a functional scoop and probably other models had one too. I am sure their engineers evaulated the risk when desining it. The amount of water that comes through the scoop in a rain storm I am sure is minimal and won't affect a mechanical 6bt diesel engine. Same with dust. I expect the amount dust that may come through the scoop is negligible compared to the amount kicked up from under the engine bay on the road. I could be wrong though. I am fine if we don't agree.

If you've got a top-mount intercooler, a hood scoop is necessary - this is why Toyota fits them to the 70 series, previous-gen Hilux, etc.

If you've got an LS swap or a turbo 1FZ or something else and having heat issues, a hood scoop is not likely to help because you'll get high-pressure air coming into the engine bay which can be counterproductive to air travelling through the radiator. You'll get more benefit from rear-facing vents to assist the air to exit the engine bay than by bringing in cold air where it doesn't have anything meaningful such as an intercooler to actually cool.

If you've got a top-mount intercooler, a hood scoop is necessary - this is why Toyota fits them to the 70 series, previous-gen Hilux, etc.

If you've got an LS swap or a turbo 1FZ or something else and having heat issues, a hood scoop is not likely to help because you'll get high-pressure air coming into the engine bay which can be counterproductive to air travelling through the radiator. You'll get more benefit from rear-facing vents to assist the air to exit the engine bay than by bringing in cold air where it doesn't have anything meaningful such as an intercooler to actually cool.

I have never researched this. Sounds like I need too. Thanks for the that piece of information it might change my direction.

The front grill is basically a giant opening that allows air into the engine compartment along with rain or dust or snow. So a scoop higher up should be fine.

True although I feel at slow speeds/ crawling the more openings the better, doesn't matter what direction.

The front grill is basically a giant opening that allows air into the engine compartment along with rain or dust or snow. So a scoop higher up should be fine.
The next time you're driving in a rain storm pull over and lift your hood, the top of the engine is remarkably dry ( including the distributor cap ) the lower engine is wet. With a diesel engine this is not a problem, with the electronics in a gas engine this can be a problem. I have a hard time believing that adding an open hood scoop to a Land Cruiser has no adverse effects, at an absolute minimum it adversely effects the aerodynamics.

Don't have anything to add except that this build has the hood installed on an 80, if you're curious to see how it looks.

This is where I first learned of the hood. I didn't see much technical info. in his videos.

It also matters when you need the extra cooling— are you seeing engine temps spike when going up mountains at freeway speed while loaded, or when you're doing slow speed crawling on trails? At freeway speed, the area between the hood and windshield is a high pressure zone so a vent would force air in rather than exhaust it. But at slow speeds a hood vent releases hot air thru convection.

Fender side vents might be a better move for high speed extraction especially with a properly designed leading edge.

It also matters when you need the extra cooling— are you seeing engine temps spike when going up mountains at freeway speed while loaded, or when you're doing slow speed crawling on trails? At freeway speed, the area between the hood and windshield is a high pressure zone so a vent would force air in rather than exhaust it. But at slow speeds a hood vent releases hot air thru convection.

Fender side vents might be a better move for high speed extraction especially with a properly designed leading edge.

I see tempetures spike when towing uphill. The rest of the time the temperatures are in a normal range. The temperatures that I am refering to are the exhaust gas temps. I use the 80 to tow with and it is really only a concern when towing.

I will admit I had never researched the enginering behind hood scoops and vents, so that is what I have been doing. My initial thought process was a hood scoop just creates another opening above the radiator and allows more air passage through the engine bay at speed. While generally that might be true, it might not cool the engine the way I want it to. That is what I am trying to figure out.

I am still researching the options before I start cutting things.

I see tempetures spike when towing uphill. The rest of the time the temperatures are in a normal range. The temperatures that I am refering to are the exhaust gas temps. I use the 80 to tow with and it is really only a concern when towing.

I will admit I had never researched the enginering behind hood scoops and vents, so that is what I have been doing. My initial thought process was a hood scoop just creates another opening above the radiator and allows more air passage through the engine bay at speed. While generally that might be true, it might not cool the engine the way I want it to. That is what I am trying to figure out.

I am still researching the options before I start cutting things.
Do you have a top mount intercooler? If not, a Bonnet scoop will have no impact on EGT. If you're having EGT issues, these will be fixed with intercooler, messing with the tune, freer flowing exhaust etc. Vents in the bonnet are to help with engine coolant temp

I wanted to followup since I started this. I did pass on blits hood and decided not to follow through with the 79 series hood mashup. Thanks to @AussieHZcruza for pointing me in a new direction.

I decided to add louvers to my hood to vent some of the heat. I also cut a couple holes in my arb to allow a little more air to flow through the intercooler and lower radiator.

20200717_132226.jpg

20200717_103908.jpg

20200719_162737.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom