Blinking rear locker light (1 Viewer)

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Get under the truck and check all the wires to the exterior locker unit on the PS of the rear differential.

I have the same problem and realized that one of the plugs had come undone and that the connector had been smashed up (not sure what the wire is called). I am guessing it is the one that recognizes if it is locked because I can hear it and feel it.

If you know it is locked then likely the switch has gone bad, there are several of theses same style switches under the 80 many have had success taking the switch out cleaning them out. If not they can also be replaced,

before I did that though I would make sure it is locking but the light is not activating, jack the rear axle, turn the key on and lock the center and rear lockers, turn one rear tire until you hear the locker snap into position and check that the wheel no longer rotates.

Still no solid light? pull the plug from the switch and jumper the two pins on the connector together, got light? Then switch is bad fix or replace.

RavenTai said:
If you know it is locked then likely the switch has gone bad, there are several of theses same style switches under the 80 many have had success taking the switch out cleaning them out. If not they can also be replaced,

before I did that though I would make sure it is locking but the light is not activating, jack the rear axle, turn the key on and lock the center and rear lockers, turn one rear tire until you hear the locker snap into position and check that the wheel no longer rotates.

Still no solid light? pull the plug from the switch and jumper the two pins on the connector together, got light? Then switch is bad fix or replace.

I am going to try that as well. But, is there a "wire" that connects at the diff that recognizes that it is locked?

Brentbba

Former Golfer
SILVER Star
Been there done that on this. If you lock the rears on pavement, make a slight turn and the tires chirp, you are locked.

Take the wiring harness off the rear actuator switch and stick a paper clip in it (god I like paper clips). If it's just the actuator switch the paperclip will complete the circuit and the idiot light should be solid. A quick call to Dan for the part, removal of the actuator protector guard, removal of the offending switch, replace the protector guard and you are good to go.

slick621 said:
I am going to try that as well. But, is there a "wire" that connects at the diff that recognizes that it is locked?

yes there is a switch near the locker actuator that connectes the light in the dash to ground to make it steady when the lcoker has fully engaged, Brent has a good description.

on my 96 LX it is conector R10, it 2 wires, one white w/ black, the second yellow w/ white.

Brentbba

Former Golfer
SILVER Star
As far as I'm concerned, the paperclip has become the most useful diagnostic tool I own! :D

Thanks Raven and Brent. I will give it a try. Sorry for the hijack medtro. Hope it helps you as well.

I do believe sometime in the recent past George posted some info on how to rejuvenate locker sensing switches by electrically cleaning the contacts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom