blinkers and hazards not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am just about finished with my 9/70 and cannot get the blinkers or hazards to work. The flasher has power to it but the blinker switch does not. Also when I pull the e-brake lever, the "brakes" light comes on. How does the turn signal switch get its power? I thought power came from the hazard switch to the flasher to the blinker switch... I've searched the issue and I'm leaning towards replacing the hazard switch as the blinker switch and flasher are both new. I'm not sure if the e-brake issue is relevant to the blinker/hazard issue but figured I'd throw that in. Any suggestions?

The e brake thing isn't a issue I believe there is a contact to turn the brake warning light on when the park brake is applied

I think you're right about the sequence. Get a voltmeter and trace down to see where you're losing it. A lot of times it's a ground. This probably doesn't help But thought I'd throw it out there. Good luck!

I struggled with my flashers not working right for a long time. I cleaned every ground and still had issues until I replaced the flasher assembly and it's worked flawlessly ever since. Super easy :banana: job.

The Brake light is supposed to come on when you pull the Parking Brake on to remind you to release it.

On a 1970 the power feed is this: Power comes into the Flasher through the GR wire from the fuse panel. Note: Later models got power through the Hazard switch!

It then leaves the flasher through the GL wire which goes to the both the turn signal switch, as a GL wire and the Hazard switch as a GL wire. The turn signal switch, when moved to left or right, connects the turn signal lights to that GL wire. Since the lights are grounded, current now flows in the circuit triggering the flasher to flash.

Crap! Sent that before I finished!

First thing to check is that each light fixture is grounded. If this is a freshly painted vehicle, the light housings will NOT be grounded well at all! Sand paper or run a separate ground wire for the light housings.
Verify the bulbs are good and the light housings are not corroded in the bulb bases.
If that is all good you either have something not wired correctly in the 6 bullet connectors that connect the turn switch to the main harness, or you have a defective switch, (not likely).
Hint about connecting the 6 bullet connectors. On the harness side there are two wires that have the triple bullet connectors GY and GO. The two wires of the same color coming out of the turn switch that are SHORTER then the other 4 wires plug into those triple connectors. The two turn dash indicator bulbs also plug into those triple connectors. The rest of the bullet connectors from the turn switch plug into the harness connectors color to color.

Crap! Sent that before I finished!

First thing to check is that each light fixture is grounded. If this is a freshly painted vehicle, the light housings will NOT be grounded well at all! Sand paper or run a separate ground wire for the light housings.
Verify the bulbs are good and the light housings are not corroded in the bulb bases.
If that is all good you either have something not wired correctly in the 6 bullet connectors that connect the turn switch to the main harness, or you have a defective switch, (not likely).
Hint about connecting the 6 bullet connectors. On the harness side there are two wires that have the triple bullet connectors GY and GO. The two wires of the same color coming out of the turn switch that are SHORTER then the other 4 wires plug into those triple connectors. The two turn dash indicator bulbs also plug into those triple connectors. The rest of the bullet connectors from the turn switch plug into the harness connectors color to color.

thanks for responding...
the running lights come on (front and back) so I don't think its a ground issue at the light housings. also the brake light stays on even if the key is off when the e-brake is pulled out. is that normal? I would think it would drain the battery... I tested all the wires going to the turn signal switch and not one has power, but I have power at the flasher. I think ill take the information you have given about the GL wire and trace it to see why no power at the switch.

The brake warning light should go out when you key off so you do have a problem there as well

The brake warning light should go out when you key off so you do have a problem there as well

Make sure PO did not wire that line Hot. Mine did..

On my 70, this helped (hot on top)

IMG_0140.jpg

Had similar issues with mine, replaced the flasher can, traced grounds till my eyes watered, turned out to be the contacts in the steering wheel assembly quick wipe & some contact spray all good. Have had no issues after that :)

Update- the brake indicator light was wired hot, fixed that. the blinkers apparently do run through the hazard switch which isn't functioning properly. I ended up leaving the hazard switch out of the loop and running a hot wire from the fuse panel to the flasher and a jumper from the other wire on the flasher to the GL wire on the directional switch and the blinkers work fine!! Now on to fixing oil leak, water pump leak, and most likely taking apart the windshield wiper assembly. yay thanks again for all the responses any recommendations on a good thread that brakes down a wiper motor assembly?? are there aftermarket parts available for those units?

any recommendations on a good thread that brakes down a wiper motor assembly??
Check out the page created by Mark aka @Coolerman . Look in his sig line on any post of his to find the link... It is a great source of information on many repairs and upgrades.
HTH,
Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom