Blinker Trouble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Left blinker works but right blinker is not working. Right starts to click in relay then stops. Back blinker light is on but does not blink. I am thinking it is the relay, any thoughts? FYI, 1979 FJ40.

right front bulb burned out

Or a bad ground on the front right lamp, which seems to be more often the case. Run a dedicated ground wire from each lamp. I used the chassis screw inside the lamp for a ring terminal.

My new, and old, OEM lenses, cover screws stripped the plastic that they screw into, no problem teflon tape to the rescue. Just tighten them slowly, and tighten a little of each one at a time, instead of one screw all at once.

Why do you think it is the flasher? It works on the left, correct? There is only one flasher and if it works on one side but not the other then the problem isn't the flasher. ALL of the bulbs must be good, OF THE PROPER WATTAGE and the housings need to have a GOOD GROUND to make this system operate as designed. There must be at least a dozen threads on this subject. Get a wiring diagram and understand the system as you troubleshoot it.

Check your ground and bulb on the one no working

Had this exact issue 2 weeks ago on a new to me 55. Bad ground in a new wire connection the PO did. I also had an intermittent blinker indicator light on the dash on the same blinker. Had to resolder the bulb fitting to the metal plate it was attached to, as it had a bad ground issue there as well. Good as new.

I’ll put a vote up for the ground as well. My turn signals used to do the same thing. By default the turn signals ground through the stalk to the body. That area corrodes up over time and the grounds go bad. When they do, the signals start working intermittently or not at all.

The best way to make sure it stops happening is to run a ground wire directly from each signal. I mounted a small screw through each housing and ran grounds back down the existing turn signal harness and into the engine bay. They’ve worked great ever since.

The black and white wire is the one I added. It follows the OEM wires down and terminates at one of the bolts on the fender inside the engine bay. Keeps it out of the rain and the elements and provides a much more positive electrical contact.

1DF5AD0D-6D78-4A99-8657-CF48643970DB.jpeg

I’ll put a vote up for the ground as well. My turn signals used to do the same thing. By default the turn signals ground through the stalk to the body. That area corrodes up over time and the grounds go bad. When they do, the signals start working intermittently or not at all.

The best way to make sure it stops happening is to run a ground wire directly from each signal. I mounted a small screw through each housing and ran grounds back down the existing turn signal harness and into the engine bay. They’ve worked great ever since.

The black and white wire is the one I added. It follows the OEM wires down and terminates at one of the bolts on the fender inside the engine bay. Keeps it out of the rain and the elements and provides a much more positive electrical contact.

View attachment 2437219
Essential. Toyota was my PO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom