Blinked won’t work when lights on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I have my lights on the left blinker will not work. Any recommendations for a fix.
Thanks

It looks like you are new here, so welcome to Mud. If you are serious about needing help you are going to have to do better at describing your problem. What year, model and condition i.e. is it stock or does it have PO wizardry going on, is your vehicle? Have you searched the threads for your symptoms? My guess is no on the last question as there are a bejillion answers to your problem already out there. Check out this thread for some answers and suggestions.

How long have you had this vehicle, and is it a new occurrence?

It looks like you are new here, so welcome to Mud. If you are serious about needing help you are going to have to do better at describing your problem. What year, model and condition i.e. is it stock or does it have PO wizardry going on, is your vehicle? Have you searched the threads for your symptoms? My guess is no on the last question as there are a bejillion answers to your problem already out there. Check out this thread for some answers and suggestions.
You are correct that I am new to the forum and new to FJ40 ownership. I just bought a 1973 FJ40. Looks like most everything is original and the vehicle is in good condition. Although I do see some wiring that looks updated. I am still leaning this site so I have not searched fully. Mostly google that leads me to this site and different threads.
Thank you for any help you can provide.

I ran a tree of ground wires from every lamp to the firewall and bellhousing, two for each rear combination lamp. Having all the lamps grounded is necessary for blink. Disc brake conversions are really popular on these rigs, but what if the vehicle behind you doesn't stop because your lamp's ground was sketchy?

Alrighty then...let's get to work!!!
The first thing to do is get a "road map" of where you are going so you don't get lost. Search the FAQs for the correct year and model wiring diagram. Once you find one print two copies and label them with the VIN. Put one away in a safe spot and use the second one to write your notes and annotate any changes that you make based on what you find on the vehicle. Check out @Coolerman website for the correct color and size wire and connectors. Others will tell you that any wire will work, it will, but there is a price to pay by not continuing the color code. Let me know which diagram you choose so I can use the same one while walking you through the troubleshooting steps.
As stated above make sure you have good grounds at all of the light fixtures. That means there is a wire to ground and securely attached to each fixture with a rivet or nut and bolt.
While you are doing this you need to clean the bulb sockets and all of the connectors so the metal parts shine like new.
You also have to confirm that the bulbs are the correct size (wattage) for your year. It takes about 50W of power consumption to make the flasher work, if you have an OEM style flasher.
You will need a multimeter and know how to use one (the interweb is your friend.) It doesn't have to be a NIST rated one, just one that works.
You will be taking lots of picture to help validate the work and allow us to see what is going on.
Most importantly you will need patience. Troubleshooting electrical gremlins takes time and you need to follow a logical sequence to get to the root cause.
Put your year and model in your signature so everyone knows what you are talking about.
Time for a beer!!!
🍻🍻🍻

Alrighty then...let's get to work!!!
The first thing to do is get a "road map" of where you are going so you don't get lost. Search the FAQs for the correct year and model wiring diagram. Once you find one print two copies and label them with the VIN. Put one away in a safe spot and use the second one to write your notes and annotate any changes that you make based on what you find on the vehicle. Check out @Coolerman website for the correct color and size wire and connectors. Others will tell you that any wire will work, it will, but there is a price to pay by not continuing the color code. Let me know which diagram you choose so I can use the same one while walking you through the troubleshooting steps.
As stated above make sure you have good grounds at all of the light fixtures. That means there is a wire to ground and securely attached to each fixture with a rivet or nut and bolt.
While you are doing this you need to clean the bulb sockets and all of the connectors so the metal parts shine like new.
You also have to confirm that the bulbs are the correct size (wattage) for your year. It takes about 50W of power consumption to make the flasher work, if you have an OEM style flasher.
You will need a multimeter and know how to use one (the interweb is your friend.) It doesn't have to be a NIST rated one, just one that works.
You will be taking lots of picture to help validate the work and allow us to see what is going on.
Most importantly you will need patience. Troubleshooting electrical gremlins takes time and you need to follow a logical sequence to get to the root cause.
Put your year and model in your signature so everyone knows what you are talking about.
Time for a beer!!!
🍻🍻🍻
Thank you!

grounds

but considering you haven't had the truck for long, I'd also check all the bulbs

After my fenders were painted, and I reinstalled my turn signals, my ground seemed good....Had the same problem...Turns out, my "ground" was a false report back to the headlight switch. Once the headlights were on, blinkey no workey...My point is try to isolate the ground and don't solely rely on a quick meter check.

Look closely at your grounds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom