Blew up something! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_20180106_125943053.jpg

During some night time snow wheeling over Judith Peak in Montana. I broke something while going through deep snow drifts, waist deep snow, 200 point turn around or pulling the idiots out of the ditch in a car (because driving late night with no; gear, clothes, cell services, with the intent to walk out at -6°F, is a good idea) but I digress.
IMG_20171227_234654265_TOP.jpg

these girls where bitches, calling me names "stupid old man". I wanted to leave them. They were under the influence for sure...
IMG_20180113_133951282_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180113_134023062.jpg

IMG_20180113_134235873.jpg

I drove my busted Landcruiser all the way off the mountain while towing a car and then drove it home on the asphalt. All the while it sounded like I put a handful of nuts and bolts inside something, banging shuddering crack jumping all the way home in a nasty snow storm, I had to get home, and this thing did it very impressively.

I have some photos and videos of me dissecting the drive-train, here is a video

Turn volume up, Video starts with;

0-1 second mark- I am driving vehicle forward using 4-hi and center lock on.

1-2 second mark- I come to a stop and turn off center lock (you can hear the click)

2-9 second mark- I shift into neutral and back to drive and give it a little throttle just once.

10-33 sec mark – I shift back and forth D-N-D-N-D-N etc. no throttle.

10-13 sec mark – if you look closely during one of the shifts from N to D you can see the rear drive shaft is not even spinning, no jerking nothing.

34 second mark- I turn on center lock you can hear the click and now I can move again and begin to pull away.

So My engine obviously works fine-the transmission works forward and backwards.

Suspect #1:

The transfer case, has metal shavings in the oil and I only get power out of the front output shaft. With the center lock turned off I go nowhere it just makes noise like you hear in the video. Only when I engage the center locker I can move. So, I only have power to the front wheels??? Does anyone agree with this madness?

Suspect #2:

I drained the oil from the front differential and both the fill and drain plugs are jacked it looks like the ends of both plugs got clobbered by metal chunks, and there are tons of chips n chunks on the magnetic drain plug. This front diff solely pulled me and the person I rescued home that night and I think it gave its life up for it. Judging from the pictures I am replacing the entire thing…

At least you saved some il prepared travelers from a bad situation. Did you try and pull them in reverse? Ive heard the front diff doesnt like that.

Am i a bad person if i say i would have left there them once it became apparent they were intoxicated?

Am i a bad person if i say i would have left there them once it became apparent they were intoxicated?
hahahaha, no! its funny one moment I'm having fun night wheeling in great snow. Then out of nowhere a car with two girls show up (in the middle of the night and in the middle of nowhere). In about 10 seconds I go from thinking "wow I'm am going to have to explain two women in the snow to my wife... we were just staying warm I swear" to me thinking how much I hate them and how annoying and disrespectful these little s***s are...." well your honor that is why I buried them". then I see them trying to turn off the car and walk. life over limb I thought, don't leave them here and this car will be buried for weeks if I don't pull it. no good deed goes unpunished.

guess what..................................... I saw that girl at my daughters school. She acted like she didn't know me till I got loud about pulling her out, a bitch till the end huh- better start the cat collection now honey.

originally I was thinking it was front diff but after fully reading the post, and seeing what vintage 100 you have, I'd say transfer case.

have you jacked up the rear and spun a tire? does it spin?

either way it will be some hours and $$'s

Early 100's were known to have weak 2 pinion diffs but the later 100's like yours (4 pinion) while stronger also we're not that strong so if it is destroyed replace it with an ARB or Harrop along with gears and don't look back.

Drop both front and rear driveshafts and see if the tcase outputs move to inspect it.

Last edited:
thats a bummer. i feel your misery. i saved a young jeeper on graves range jeep trail. the pair of youngsters had broken a u joint on there front driveshaft and could not make it up the last big hill coming out in 2h. (4cyl carbed wrangler) they attempted it 2 times and ended up flooding the motor and rolled back down the hill dead in the water. no power brakes and a locked up steering wheel ended them up high centered on the side of the trail with two of the wheels in the air. when i rolled up on them they were stuffing a jacket in the gas tank because the didn't have a gas cap and it was pissing gas everywhere. these kids had no tools, no top on the jeep, were in shorts and tee shirts. it gets pretty cold up there in september and we had encountered 6 to 8 inches of snow at the higher elevations so they would have had a pretty miserable night if i had not helped them. it took about 3 pulls with my nissans winch to get them back on the trail. i then disconnected the front driveshaft so that they could use their low range gears to give them a better chance at the hill. they attempted it 2 times to no avail. this hill is steep and long and there is a hard 180 degree switchback half way up that they could not get past. so i pulled the jeep all the way up this hill. they flooded the motor again at the switchback. we had to clutch start the jeep to get it around the switch back so that i could get a straight pull the second half of the hill. i was able to get them out safely but my clutch has never been the same since. it was pretty miserable, took like 3 and a half hours.

at least they were grateful for the help and sober i wouldn't have put up with it if i was in your situation would have called it in

Wow I can't believe someone would not appreciate the help getting out of what could have been a dangerous situation. Crazy.
Really?!?! Yes I pulled them a bunch in reverse.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do but. FYI Pulling heavy loads in reverse can be a bad idea with any kind of 4x4. That applies allot of excessive torque to the significantly weaker "coast" side of the ring and pinion. Because of the added weight and traction to the usually smaller front end it makes it even worse. Allot of dirt track race cars break ring and pinions not from acceleration but from deceleration on the coast side of the gears. Big trucks (and the Ford 9 inch:D) have a pocket bearing on the end of the pinion to help strengthen the coast side because of the engine brakes.

Man no one told me about this. I have pulled a bunch in reverse. My friend recommended that way! Thanks.

I am replacing the transfer case and the front differential, as well as a few things along the way. I'm at 200k and should do a little preventative maintenance- inspect wheel bearings, replace any seals that need it.
As far as who is doing it.... Me! I'm saving thousands, literally. It will be slower of course but I can afford that. I'll post some picks tonight.

So I indeed have problems with the transfer case. I got small metal chips out of it and the case was starting to leak and a sensor plug was starting to leak and the seal for the transmission was leaking. But the deal breaker was the metal that came out. Some said to leave it some said open it. I spoke with just differentials, those guys are nice, they said something is wrong even if it's little there is a problem. I also spoke with overland cruisers, they are super cool too, and the said the same thing. I for sure have an issue, just when do you want to deal with it. I said I wanted to get stranded with my kids at elevation j/k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom