Blew #5 Spark Plug in my 2004 Land Cruiser ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a P0305 Diagnostic Code making me hope its just a Coil Pack,
but after digging in the Spark Plug was loose and the electrical contact on the Spark Plugs coil pack end was broken inside the coil pack.
Not the firing end of the Spark Plug.
I was not able to screw in a replacement Spark Plug,

Took it to a shop ... they think we might get away with a Helicoil.

What is you guys experience with something like this?

Got a P0305 Diagnostic Code making me hope its just a Coil Pack,
but after digging in the Spark Plug was loose and the electrical contact on the Spark Plugs coil pack end was broken inside the coil pack.
Not the firing end of the Spark Plug.
I was not able to screw in a replacement Spark Plug,

Took it to a shop ... they think we might get away with a Helicoil.

What is you guys experience with something like this?
I had a similar issue. Same code on different cylinder. Pulled the coil pack and the plug just popped out with it. No threads to put in a new plug. Helicoil (which I had a really great shop handle) solved it for like 300 bucks.

Same thing happened to my buddies 2005. Helicoil worked just fine and it's been going strong for probably 6 years now.

Is this the thread?

So you were able to drive 950 miles with #5 knocking?
Is your Cruiser OK now with the Helicoil?
Hoping my 2004 LC is going to be OK - left it at a mechanic.
It was 70 miles from home ... maybe I should have drove it home and done it myself.

Is this the thread?

So you were able to drive 950 miles with #5 knocking?
Is your Cruiser OK now with the Helicoil?
Hoping my 2004 LC is going to be OK - left it at a mechanic.
It was 70 miles from home ... maybe I should have drove it home and done it myself.
Yep that's it.

Well, it wasnt knocking anymore because I pulled the plug and disconnected the injector. So there was no combustion going on in that cylinder, hence why I was on 7 cylinders. It's not optimal but it's safe. Driving with it the plug knocking is not a good idea.

Yes, time-sert worked great (so far). I don't envision any issues with it long term.

Yep that's it.

Well, it wasnt knocking anymore because I pulled the plug and disconnected the injector. So there was no combustion going on in that cylinder, hence why I was on 7 cylinders. It's not optimal but it's safe. Driving with it the plug knocking is not a good idea.

Yes, time-sert worked great (so far). I don't envision any issues with it long term.

We pulled the Spark Plug and just covered the hole with the Coil Pack, but disconnected.
Still knocked on short drive to shop.

We pulled the Spark Plug and just covered the hole with the Coil Pack, but disconnected.
Still knocked on short drive to shop.
Not to be pedantic... But the cylinder still has compression, so you're hearing that, it's not really a "knock"... It's not an issue.

Unplug the injector next time as well, or you could burn out your cat.

Not to be pedantic... But the cylinder still has compression, so you're hearing that, it's not really a "knock"... It's not an issue.

Unplug the injector next time as well, or you could burn out your cat.

That's great advice. Did not think to unplug the Fuel Injector for #5.

I've never installed a Helicoil.
Did watch a great video showing how its done.
Looks like something I can do but wondering if its a skill that needs a little more practice to develop the skill set.
What do you think?

If you're messing with the head ($$) and you're not sure what you're doing, I'd have someone that does do the work.
Agreed. I'm the only one who has ever worked on my 100 series since I've owned it... But this is a one chance to get it right job. I have a buddy who owns a shop locally, and let him do it instead since he has a bunch of experience doing them. It was worth the peace of mind on this job.

This happened to today, 06LX 255k miles.
3C5F9D3E-E709-44E8-A6DC-FC2775EB1E3C.jpeg

It was a cold start, engine was shaking, no CEL. I immediately noticed how rough the start was, backed up the car and as soon as the Lx got to the black top from the ramp, idling was smooth as butter again. No CEL at all. While at the stop light, I ran a quick diagnostic test and I got this. Drove it for 45 more minutes and rough idle never came back. Ran the diagnostics 3 more times after clearing it, no DTCs still.

To add, I just installed a dash cam last night. Never messed around at the engine bay doing that since its power is coming from the lighter jack usb plugin. But I will be surprised if the DTC is related to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom