Builds Blender, My LX450/FZJ80 + FJ45esk + GM + Land Rover crazy concoction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you said......Mini shop tip. If you use a screw with a tapered head when you are putting in the weld nuts it centers them perfectly in the hole for the spot welds.

Great tip. Do you find it better to use stainless or standard in regard to heating too much and not coming out easily?

I never really thought about it much, but I use stainless typically. No coating to bake off and inhale is probably a good thing.

I may have missed it but have you measured the height to the top of the roof? Looks low on 40's.

Thanks

I may have missed it but have you measured the height to the top of the roof? Looks low on 40's.

Thanks

I haven't got it at 100% final weight yet, but it is about 77" to the hole on the windshield frame.

I 'pulled the hat down' with my top design also. The top really isn't any taller than the windshield frame peak.

I'm still waiting on parts, but trying to get back in the groove....

Baby steps on the #LX45 tonight. I got most of the paint stripped and blasted off the grill shell. Now I am wondering if I should just fill in these little voids in the lower corners? Probably should.....

Little catch up....been slacking...

I ended up patching some small holes in the bottom corners of the grill. They started to allow me and needed to go. It was a pain in the rear but worth it.

I also had to add back some tabs to hold the grill screen insert to the botto edge of the main opening.

Details Details.

More small projects on the #LX45 tonight. Added a few blind fasteners to the old lower grill mount holes. The belly pan came out again to get drilled for the support ribs and all the holes where countersunk for tapered heads. I also picked up one of those small belt sanders. That thing is super handy!

Shop tip. Mark the diameter of the fastener head before you start the countersink. This gives you a good reference point for how far you need to go without having to check it a bunch of times.

More to do tomorrow. The belly pan can then go back in and I will trim/mark/drill/tap the 3/4 square aluminum ribs....

Flat belly....

I was able to finish up the belly pan tonight. I added the 6061 3/4 square stock ribs to give it some more structure. These where drilled and tapped directly for the fasteners. Everything on the bottom of the belly pan is flush. The pan is light enough that I can pull it off myself without anything but hand tools which is a bonus. I should probably add a drain hole or two.....

Shop tip.

Poor mans repeatable depth stop for your cheap HF drill press. Bottom the bit out in the top of the chuck. Run the quill down till it bottoms out. Raise the table up till you get the material thickness you need from the bottom surface of the part. I didn't want to tap the entire thickness of the rib so I counterbored the back side till there was only about 5/16 of material for the 8mm impact drill/tap.

Trying not to be frustrated with the #LX45 by doing something, anything, to get it done. It looks like I will have to stick the tub back on without the wiring harness (yuck). I still need to pull the tcase off and run all the trans brackets and crossmember to the powder-coater. Maybe I will get lucky with the harness still. Tonight was some TIG welding on the battery tray, compressor mount, and a coat of paint on the passenger rocker.

My daily dose of do something on the #LX45. I added a clevis pin for a future exhaust hanger. The passenger rocker was scuffed and sprayed in another coat of can. Then did some TIG welding on the bed frame. Last thing was to pull this old little blaster out of the corner and test it out with the big compressor. Everything went pretty well.

All that dimple work looks awesome!

What’s your plan for paint / powder coat?

Most of the brackets that unbolt are getting powder coated. Everything welded to the frame is getting spray painted with about 3-4 coats of Krylon Supermax satin black.

A very scattered evening on the #LX45, but progress is progress. I made a screen for the big hole in the grill out of some stainless mesh. The drivers rocker got it's first coat of paint. I remade the shift lever for the hi-low on the transfer case to make it much stiffer. The exhaust hanger got a test assembly. I also did a little measuring on the grill for a possible turn signal. Anyone have any ideas for a 1.5 inch round surface mount 3 wire turn signal?

Use a stock early turn signal and change the baulb mounting for a 2 filliment baulb, nice work as normal..

Use a stock early turn signal and change the baulb mounting for a 2 filliment baulb, nice work as normal..

Can you buy reproductions for a fair price?
Point me in the right direction....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom