Bleeding the stinkin clutch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Background:

350 SBC with heavy pressure plate tore up my toyota slave cylinder. I was able to get the hydrolic clutch (MC SC and lines) for a '96 Chevy truck (same bellhousing and clutch fork as the '81) for about $125 and fabed up some ugly but functional brackets.

Been bleeding this clutch by having someone pump the clutch half-dozen times then hold it in while I open the bleed screw allowing the slave cylinder to completely compress. repeat for hours, changing the person pumping as their leg gets tired. I cannot get it to bleed. The pedal is still squishy for approximately the first 1/2 of the throw then firm for the second half. I'm 90% sure I don't have any leaks as there is no fluid coming from the fittings and the rest of the parts are BRAND NEW. The pedal moves the MC the same amount that the chevy pedal would move it.

WHAT AM I MISSING!? I'm getting really tired of working on this thing and I feel like this is one of the last things I need to do to drive it for a bit and keep from rolling it off a cliff. Swank I feel your pain, right now I hate this truck.

Chris

one more thing. I bleed the stock clutch fine when it was mounted with slave cylinder's bleed screw being the highest point on the SC. The bleed screw on this thing is pointed straight down.

TheGr8Doughboy said:
one more thing. I bleed the stock clutch fine when it was mounted with slave cylinder's bleed screw being the highest point on the SC. The bleed screw on this thing is pointed straight down.

Bingo. You will not get all the air out unless the bleeder is the highest point. It may mean pulling the slave and bleeding it while detached, then bolting back on.

how can you bleed the slave cylinder with it detached? wouldn't you effectively blow the piston out of the slave cylinder when you stepped on the clutch?

TheGr8Doughboy said:
how can you bleed the slave cylinder with it detached? wouldn't you effectively blow the piston out of the slave cylinder when you stepped on the clutch?

no...just loosen the bleeder screw......take off the slave cyl...put hose on bleeder screw so you don't cover your self in fluid......point bleeder screw up and GENTLY push in clutch pedal untill no more air is present...you may want to hold the piston from popping out but it won't be hard to hold.
HTH , Daryl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom