Bleeding brakes but nothing coming out of Drivers side rear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve bled the brakes on my trusty 97 before and did not encounter this. The passenger rear, LSP, passenger front, and driver’s front all worked fine, however I don’t get any fluid bleeding from the DS rear brake caliper lines.

This was after replace the two front and one rear lines with extended hoses.

Has anyone run into this before?

Completely remove the bleeder screw and see if fluid will 'gravity flow' from it.

That way you establish there is (or isn't) a free path for the fluid to flow and also makes suspect (or not) your bleeder screw.

That was it. I recall now that this was the only nipple that did not have a rubber boot on it, and it faces forward so it was probably clogged.

I’ll have to clean it out, but I’ll be damned if I can’t find the opening on the other end. It appears to be closed off. Should it be on the side or at the back?

Ended up drilling a hole in the side at the bottom. Problem solved, Mcguyver style.

All finished up and everything is not only back to normal, but I think my brakes are even more firm than before.

Cheers and thanks for the suggestion!

That was it. I recall now that this was the only nipple that did not have a rubber boot on it, and it faces forward so it was probably clogged.

I’ll have to clean it out, but I’ll be damned if I can’t find the opening on the other end. It appears to be closed off. Should it be on the side or at the back?

One hole at the end of the bleeder (that the cap usually fits over) the other (a single hole) will be near the bottom of the bleeder (on the side) near the taper of the bleeder plug. When they fill with dirt it can be difficult to see them, the hole is small and requires a small drill bit or stiff piece of wire to clear the debris from it.

Bleeder.jpg

Last edited:
Ended up drilling a hole in the side at the bottom. Problem solved, Mcguyver style.
For reference, the rear caliper bleeders are part number 47547-12030 and cost a whole $6.
If yours are plugged with debris, then you should be concerned with the condition of the calipers.
Brake fluid should be changed regularly as it absorbs water. The darker it is, the more contaminated it is. Fresh brake fluid is water clear.

OK....but do it right later when time permits. Replace with new.

Also, inspect the 'taper' on the end of the bleeder screw. IF pitted and rusty then water has been in the fluid for a long time and the 'seat' in your caliper housing might have them too which can eventually result in a leak.

Bleeder Screws.jpg

That is the plan. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom