Blatant Running Thread

Cube Dweller

Just got back from a 10K training run so I thought I'd lighten the subjects...who are the runners on the board? I used to HATE running until about 3 years ago when a buddy convinced me to do a half marathon relay. I started training for it but had to bail due to some knee pain. But in 2003 I hit the road again and ran a 5K, 7 miler, half marathon and finished with the California International Marathon. Once I could run 5 miles without being in agony I found I actually enjoyed the experience.

2004 was an off year due to our beautiful baby being born. So for 2005 I plan to run the CIM again. I plan to do a light day of 6 miles, a 5 mile speed day and a 9-12 mile long day through August, when I'll start following the Boston Marathon Assc. training plan for rookies.

Post up if you're a runner or you think you hate running.

I ran solely to train for soccer and mountain bike racing. Then went running with some girl first month of college... she KILLED me. It was the first time I got my butt kicked by a GIRL. I was out running with a friend of mine a month ago trying to get him into it and trying to explain that after the first 3 miles you get into a rythem and it doesn't seem to wear you out so much. He mulled that one over for a bit and then said, out of breath "damn dude, you don't mean after the first three miles of the season, you're talkin about one run!" It was classic. I'm hoping to do a marathon in the next year or so.

Chris

Brentbba

Former Golfer
SILVER Star

Used to run alot. Best way I found to control both weight and stress. Actually worked up to a half marathon years and years...... ago. Now just 2-3 miles 3 times per week to get started again.

patride71

i love to run, but have not been running as much as i used to....used to run 5K about 4 times a week a few years back...usually about a 8 minute mile pace.

this week was the first week in months that i have run even twice in one week and only made it 2 miles on each run....11 minute mile pace. might as well been running backwards. :eek:

it takes so long to build up the endurance and doesn't take anytime at all to lose it. i hope to get back into it more once i move back to Texas. its a lot easier to run year round down there.

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
SILVER Star

Sacto-I'll train with you. I've run several marathons and have done too many triathlons to count, though I've been sort of retired the last 2-3 years. My last marathon was the 2002 Napa Valley when it rained and was freezing cold. I was so miserable I sort of swore it off, but I want to do at least 1 more to say I got out of shape and then back in.

Give me 1 more month to push my miles above 7 at a strech and I'll be ready even though I'm giving away at least 10 years to you! My favorite work out is the 12 mile loop around lake Natoma on Sunday morning. It will take a few months, but I want to do that regularly again.

NorCalDoug

problems solved daily...

All you runners :rolleyes:

Don't you all know that running's bad for you? Look at what happened to Jim Fixx. That should be proof enough that running's wrong...

no...wait...hold on....sorry 'bout that guys...wrong thread...I saw "blatant" and didn't read any further.

now where's that other thread...

:D

speaking of running...and just so I can insert the word nipple...

When a buddy of mine entered (and completed -- good for him :D) the California International Marathon they have here in town, I noticed quite a few runners with bleeding nipples. You'd think some of these people would plan ahead for this...I know I would -- who want sore nipples whilst running? I sure wouldn't...

patride71

NorCalDoug said:
speaking of running...and just so I can insert the word nipple...

When a buddy of mine entered (and completed -- good for him :D) the California International Marathon they have here in town, I noticed quite a few runners with bleeding nipples. You'd think some of these people would plan ahead for this...I know I would -- who want sore nipples whilst running? I sure wouldn't...
never got bloody NIPPLES from running, but did get bloody NIPPLES from surfing....:eek:

Cube Dweller

NCD: BandAids. Works like a champ.

CruiserDrew: LOVE the Natoma loop. I'm definitely up for meeting there for longer training runs. My pace is probably 8- 8:30's for that distance. At 5'8" and 190lbs I'll take the 10 years ;) . At CIM time in 2003 I got down to 175, could prob knock another 5-10 lbs off that if I cut out :beer: and sweets...but that's one of the reasons I run :D

Gonna also try to do the 4 bridges half in November(start/end at the Folsom fairgrounds + the Natoma loop.

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
SILVER Star

Norcaldoug-I know for a fact that you are more than ten years younger than me. You could join us, and then I would have someone to talk to in the back of the pack. If you want to go, I'll bring the defibrillator! :D

Sacto-That was my training pace at that distance, and my half marathon race pace was about 1:30 so we'll be pretty compatable once I have a few more base miles in. I've been sidetracked into my cycling at the moment with the great weather. Right now I have little to no running base and am looking for a good motivator. 4 bridges could be it. I know what you mean about weight loss and running. I'm 6'1" and after Wildflower triathlon 2002 I was down to 158! Now I'd be happy with 168!

patride71

WALoeIII said:
Shin splits :( I can't run for more than about a week before I'm completely debilitated.
those are the worst...i had them in high school. felt like i someone was jamming a knife into my shins.

NorCalDoug

problems solved daily...

Cruiserdrew said:
Norcaldoug-I know for a fact that you are more than ten years younger than me. You could join us, and then I would have someone to talk to in the back of the pack. If you want to go, I'll bring the defibrillator! :D
...!
Bring some O2 and that might seal the deal :D
I do have to say that I was a bit irritated to learn that an 84 year old lady completed the CIM under 5 hours (her time was something like 4:44, but I don't recall the exact time). If an old lady can do it...hmmm...
no, I am no where near in shape at this point to even think about a 5k, let alone something like what y'all are talking about.

tabraha

Hello My Name is: TAD
SILVER Star

word to the shin splints. Ran the 110 high hurdles, 4x400, 400 hurdles, 800, and mile in high school and there was a little too much spiked shoes on asphalt. Shin splints out the wazoo.

Mr.Bryan

I havent tried the nike free shoes, but I have a pair of shocks that i use, and they are the most comfortable running shoe i've ever had.

I'm kinda happy this thread came around because I have a question for all you marathon runners.
Everytime I run (3-4 miles every other day) my knees are a bit sore for and hour or two afterwords. Is there anything you guys would reccomend to fix this problem?

I got hooked on running when I was stationed out at Quantico and joined the Every Day Is Wednesday Hash House Harriers. Hashing is awsome. You run 3 to 4 miles stop drink some beer. Run another one or two miles finishing is a back ally or parking garage and finish the kegs. Then everyone heads off the the bar. Nothing but a buch of hotties running with you. They are all for the most part in great shape because they run so much. I did it a few times here in CO but the hashing club here didn't have the 100+ members running every week so it wasnt as much fun. :frown:

Linky

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
SILVER Star

Mr.Bryan said:
I'm kinda happy this thread came around because I have a question for all you marathon runners.
Everytime I run (3-4 miles every other day) my knees are a bit sore for and hour or two afterwords. Is there anything you guys would reccomend to fix this problem?
Your knees should not hurt at this distance unless it is you first run or two and you have no base. Generally if your knees hurt, change to different shoes before you do anything else. Go to a real running store and get fitted for a good set of trainers. If you have a high arch or narrow feet they will have specific reccomendations. Since I have had plantar fasciitis before I run in a very stable shoe with lots of arch support.

There is always someone to give advice about streching. I'm not a big believer in pre-run streches, but some general flexibility work after a run is probably a good thing. I also had IT band syndrome after the first marathon I ran that took a month to heal. I did these weird side rolls on a wine bottle. The wine was great but that specific strech hurts like a mofo.

Top Bottom