Blackstone oil report after 50k put on rebuilt motor w/SC

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

Nearly 50k miles ago I completely rebuilt and modified my motor and then added the supercharger. This was no small feat:
Engine Rebuilding options for S/C

It was suggested by them to let it go to 10k with the next oil change so I went ahead and did it even though I fought with myself to change it out earlier. Figured this time around I would post up the results of the report:

"JOEY: It's been a while since you had this engine rebuilt, so we shouldn't be seeing any residual wear-in material anymore. Iron and copper show wear at steel and brass/bronze parts, and nickel is probably a coating or an alloy. Maybe the supercharger's added power is a factor and these levels are going to be typical with it in use. We'll learn more about that with current trends. The main concern is potassium, silicon, and sodium. None are high enough to be sure, but all three could show coolant, which may explain metals. Watch for coolant loss. Note the thick viscosity."

oil-report.png

Last edited:

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

Nope, 10k miles nearly on the dot. They made no mention about longevity and they usually do.

Still waiting for MUD to let me upload photos :(

slow95z

Always parting 80s
GOLD Star

oil is too cheap to not change it at 3K imo. no reason to risk an engine for something so simple.

scottryana

"Maybe the supercharger's added power is a factor and these levels are going to be typical with it in use."

If you want, I will send my oil in to Blackstone to see if typical wear with extra power, but I really don't think that is the case.

boydmick

RIP My Friend
SILVER Star

I run a SC and routinely go 10,000 on Mobil1. Blackstone regularly tells me I have potential to push the intervals even more. i will dig around and see if I can find one of my reports and post it up.

baldilocks

Battle Ground, WA
GOLD Star
So grandpa's 1940's 3000 mile OCI recommendations out weigh modern petroleum technology and laboratory analysis? If a problem exists, changing the oil everyday will not fix it. Perhaps it's time to try a different oil. Sodium, potassium should be zero. I would be looking for a HG that's headed south.

Last edited:
I don't throw away perfectly good or hardly used fluids personally.

I have had a dozen or so blackstone tests and there is no reason for me to doubt the manufacturers recommendations, and certainly wouldn't dump it with a 3rd of its use.

I use to track a Corolla...yes a corolla. On standard dyno oil that recommended 5k changes even then the tests stated that would be dumping it early.

To stay more on subject I doubt the interval was the issue

Last edited:
Figured this time around I would post up the results of the report:

"JOEY: It's been a while since you had this engine rebuilt, so we shouldn't be seeing any residual wear-in material anymore. Iron and copper show wear at steel and brass/bronze parts, and nickel is probably a coating or an alloy. Maybe the supercharger's added power is a factor and these levels are going to be typical with it in use. We'll learn more about that with current trends. The main concern is potassium, silicon, and sodium. None are high enough to be sure, but all three could show coolant, which may explain metals. Watch for coolant loss. Note the thick viscosity."
Wonder... was there any mention of Gasoline in the oil?

Nope, 10k miles nearly on the dot. They made no mention about longevity and they usually do.

Still waiting for MUD to let me upload photos :(

Why not upload it to imgur or something similar like everyone else in 2015 does?

Sounds like it time to start saving for a LQ4.

LS1FJ40

SILVER Star

I'm going to send a sample from my 3FE this next change. Curious to see what they say. "Liquid looks good although it appears to be urine instead of oil. Regardless your motor is fine. Continue putting along."

Sent from my iPhone

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

Why not upload it to imgur or something similar like everyone else in 2015 does?
I hate every one of those image sharing sites. They all suck ass.

I was finally able to post the image. Its been added to the very first post.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

I run a SC and routinely go 10,000 on Mobil1. Blackstone regularly tells me I have potential to push the intervals even more. i will dig around and see if I can find one of my reports and post it up.
This has been every report except this one. There was actually no mention of intervals this time around.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

Do you really want your name, address, phone number, and email address posted?
It doesn't matter at this point. It's the address for my business and it's all over my Wits End site. I have one phone number...also posted on my Wits End site. So :meh:

Top Bottom