Blackstone Oil Analysis says...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
NO coolant in my Oil.....:clap:.

So the real friggin question is.... where the hell is the gallon a week of coolant coming from. I currently put about a gallon of coolant/water a week into the FJ. The leak is definitely coming from the back of the head/block area. Since I am pretty sure my head gasket is good now (unless its an external leak), I guess my next guess is the rear heater hose pipe that goes over the transmission or....... maybe a heater core??? Has anyone had or heard of an external heater core leak in a 94 FZJ80? My carpet is dry so it isn't leaking internally. Also the padding/jute material on the firewall (outside in engine bay) is wet all the way across the front of the vehicle now from the coolant. It is only wet about 2 inches up from the bottom. If I find some time this weekend I am gonna have to try to bypass the rear heater lines.

There are times that there is no coolant leak and other times that I can sit there and watch it pool up under the vehicle. :bang:. However I can not for the life of me see where it is coming from.

Any other ideas? I will also try to attach a copy of the Blackstone labs report for all the oil anlysis experts to let me know their thoughts.

As usual thanks for all your guys help....

Where does it hit the ground? You should be able to track down the leak. Check the phh, other hoses behind the valve cover (some of which go the heater core), and hoses & pipes to the rear heater.

aaron

Does anyone know how to post a PDF file? Can't seem to find a way to do it.

Not sure if these engines have freeze plugs in the back, but I had a nice coolant leak in the back of my 350 after a "good" wheeling trip. I tapped it back in and the leak stopped.

the rear heater lines that go behind the cat converters on my 94 started leaking last summer. It might be leaking there and evaporating off the cat. Just something to look at.

Oh.. I left out that I have replaced all coolant hoses including the Friggin PHH, therefore I am pretty sure that the leaks are not coming from the hoses. I have also checked the 2 sets of hoses for the rear heater and have confirmed that they are not leaking. So in my mind it is one of three things
1) Heater core
2) there is a leak in the Pipe for the rear heater hose (the one that crosses over the transmission)
3) External Head gasket leak at the #6 cylinder...

See ya...

If it was your heater core your carpet would be wet.

Ok here is the actual report from Blackstone. What do the experts think???
Blackstone Oil analysis.jpg

where the hell is the gallon a week of coolant coming from. I currently put about a gallon of coolant/water a week into the FJ.

Wow.

That is a LOT of coolant. Also, hasn't this been going on for a while now??

You want me to drive over from Medford and see what's up? I can probably swing it if you'd like. PM me if interested.

Curtis

Wow.

That is a LOT of coolant. Also, hasn't this been going on for a while now??

You want me to drive over from Medford and see what's up? I can probably swing it if you'd like. PM me if interested.

Curtis

Curtis
Thanks alot for the offer. I may just take you up on that. I feel that I can handle :banana::banana::banana: or :banana::banana::banana::banana: repairs..... However this one has been tough to find. The problem is it is coming directly at the back of the engine/head with no way to actually see it. I know what I need to do, just don't have the time to tear into it. I am coaching my sons Babe Ruth team and my mom has been in the hospital so it has been crazy..... I just need a free weekend to bypass the rear heater hose and at least try to pinpoint the darn thing.

sounds like you a have HG problem. Or am I missing something?

Hey Landtank.
I talked with Dan extensively on this and he said that he hasn't heard of any headgaskets with external leaks... and I think I can trust the Oil analysis that there isn't an internal leak... Have you seen or had any experience with External leaks? Thanks for your input.

BTW... did you see the oil analysis above?

Dang Curtis..... Give me a little would ya!!!! lol... Here I was estatic all day that I didn't have to pull the friggin head.... And then ya rain on my sunny day.... Just like you Medfordites....:flipoff2:

Ya know looking at that picture I didn't realize that the PHH was so close to the bottom of the head. I wonder if I would be able to get my hand behind the head and feel if coolant was running out... without getting my hand fried in the process of course.....

And let me rephrase Dan's comment.... he said that it was not a common occurence.... at least that is what I think he said...

I wish I didn't have so much going on this weekend.... I would let you come on over and find it for me... I am to the point I am just gonna rip the damn head off and get it over with. Then while I am in there I will find the real leak.... and do a crap load of "while I was in there" stuff..... NO wonder CDan has such nice rigs... He's the only one making money on this damn hobby..:grinpimp:

Let me know if your heading this direction... I have cold ones at all times.

the most common HG failure is into the #6 cylinder so not likely any coolant in the oil on that failure and the other is a failure at the rear of the head leaking out of the engine at the rear. Search for a post by Lx_treme as he had this type of failure and again no coolant in the oil.

I think you are misguided in thinking that a blackstone report will rule out a HG failure.

Do a compression and leak down test on the engine.

Last edited:
dry off the engine area, put fluo dye in coolant, watch where it's coming from?

Hey Landtank.
I talked with Dan extensively on this and he said that he hasn't heard of any headgaskets with external leaks... and I think I can trust the Oil analysis that there isn't an internal leak... Have you seen or had any experience with External leaks? Thanks for your input.

BTW... did you see the oil analysis above?

Not to burst your bubble, and I'm sorry to do so, but all of my Blackstone OA's told me that there was no coolant in the oil, and there prolly wasn't any cause when the HGs leak to that #6 like they typically do (and depending on the shape of your rings and walls) you might not get much coolant to actually get into the oil, but, you still got a bad or blown HG. I'm not saying that you have a bad or blown HG, I'm just saying do NOT count on a OA to determine this. HTH. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom