BlackStone Labs- 260k mile report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know a few guys have been posting up their reports from blackstone and other various labs. I got mine done a few weeks ago at 258k miles on my 1FZ. I received an email the other night from them with the full report, I wont post everything they said and all their results but just had one question.

Everything checked out very good on the engine with that many miles and they said everything looks fine except one reading came back extremely high.

The avg count they see for lead on the sample is "3".....mine came back "313"

They said this was off-the-charts high and said it could come from an engine additive or lower bearing wear. All the other metals were within spec so they didnt think it was a wear issue. The only thing i can think of is that i used some seafoam in the engine on the previous oil change.
Just wanted to know if the seafoam could possibly cause this and that with mobil 1 and 260k miles the 1FZ is still doing great.

Cruiser,
If it's not too much trouble I would like to see the full results. I plan on doing this in the near future and would like to know what to expect. I have seen a few other reports but I think the more information is out there the better the search function works. I'm not qualified to answer your question, but the Seafoam theory makes sense to me. I bet if you send in another sample after a couple of oil changes your lead count will be down.

Brad,

I'm planning on doing just that. For 20 bucks its easy enough and i'll know if if was the seafoam or not.
As for the posting the whole report, i'll be glad to if someone could help me figure out how to attach the report so i can just paste it, typing the whole report out with be a huge pain.

Open it up. Hightlight the report with the mouse. Control C. Then open a message on Mud. then Control V. Assuming you are using a windows pc.

How does this look.....
BRANDON: Note lead. If you are using an additive of some sort, it may be causing the high lead level in your engine. If you're not using an additive, then lead may show poor wear at the bearings, though the other bearing metals are still okay. We suspect lead is from an additive or leaded gas. Your
upper-end wear looks okay. This oil was free of gas, moisture and anti-freeze, and with air and oil filtration reading normally, we can't find a reason for the excessively high lead reading. Check back for another look.

94 LNDCRUISE
EQUIPMENT MAKE: Toyota
EQUIPMENT MODEL: 4.5L 6-cyl (1FZFE)
FUEL TYPE: Gasoline (Unleaded)
OIL USE INTERVAL: 5,000 Miles
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Mobil 1 10W/30 (Gas)
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED: 1 qt
OIL REPORT:
Elements: Unit Avg. / Universal Avg.
Aliminum 2 / 2
Chromium 0 / 0
Iron 6 / 6
Copper 2 / 3
>>>>Lead 313 / 3<<<<
Tin 0 / 1
Molybdenum 75 / 49
Nickel 0 / 0
Manganese 0 / 1
Silver 0 / 0
Titanium 0 / 0
Potassium 1 / 1
Boron 46 / 53
Silicon 11 / 9
Sodium 9 / 4
Calcium 1885/ 2485
Magnesium 16 / 55
Phosphorus 561 / 832
Zinc 687 / 1008
Barium 0 / 0

ginericfj80 said:
Open it up. Hightlight the report with the mouse. Control C. Then open a message on Mud. then Control V. Assuming you are using a windows pc.

Tried it, everything gets scrwwed up and unorganized. Its easeier to just type it up for now.

Properties:

Value Should be/ Value were

Viscosity @ 210- (59-68)/ 59

Flashpoint- >365/380

Fuel %- <2.0/ <0.5

Antifreeze- 0/0

Water- <0.1/0

Insolubles- <0.6/ 0.2

A couple observations and a question:

Remember (even after reading my annoying questions) that this is your first "baseline" measurement, in an older engine. The next Blackstone will be the one that will tell "the rest of the story."

Some fuel in there, too. Rings? Blow-by of some sort?

If you have that much lead running through there, possibly as a result of fuel additives, does the forum want to guesstimate the impact to the cats? My understanding is even minute amounts of lead kill catalytic converters...

Larry,

i cant really answer all your questions. i plan to probably to another test at 265k or so. As for the fuel percentage, i didnt really give it much thought since it was lower then what they called for. With the high mileage of the truck i was happy the fuel percentage was even that low. My 80 burns a considerably low amount of oil, notice its burns 1 quart for every 5000 miles, maybe....in my gut i had a fear they would find a higher amount of fuel on the oil.

As for the cat issue and what the lead could be doing to them, i really cant answer that, all i know is that for years i've had no problems when inspection time comes so my cats still seem to be ok.

Brandon,

Whoops! Flip-flopped the "should be/were" columns...thus, there was a TON more fuel in there the way I was reading it! :whoops:

Sounds like the cats are surviving just fine. I'm thankful I don't live in an area with annual testing...

Here is what the hard copy look like.
report.jpg

-Brandon- Give Balckstone a call and ask to speak to the tech that wrote your report. I have called several time and they have always been very helpfull with all my question and concerns.

Nice to see a clean bill of health with your mileage.

Agree - ask Blackstone about the Seafoam and if it would be the source of the lead readings even on the successive oil change you turned in. That kind of stuff should always be noted on the form you submit as it's highy relevant.

DougM

Guys, i emailed them back asking about the seafoam on friday. I think i will give them until monday or tuesday to get back to me since the holiday weekend, plus i dont want to come across pushy.

I'll be sure to update this with their thought, and possibly when i have a second test done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom