“Blackest” Truck Liner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Respetfully disagree.

Even with bad paint 80s will continue to appreciate in value. The minute you put liner on, you eliminate the opportunity to restore it. I’ve watched the classifieds for years now and lined 80s (even the rockers) consistently bring 2-3k less.

If it’s rust free, I would rock the crappy paint.
I get your point. But if I don’t do something relatively soon, I won’t be rust free.

If you’re thinking DIY then I’d look to Raptor as a known kit. It holds a shine compared to Monster.

If you’re looking to spend the ~$5K++ any quality spray shop will quote you, I’d pop the extra $$$ for the UV stable (premium) Line-X. And I dislike Line-X.

The harder the urethane compound, the more shine the surface will keep & shed dust, and Line-X is far harder across the board than Rhino liners for the big name franchises. The premium is so hard it is slippery when wet, it’s that glossy.

What do you think of pulling all the cladding & either foil/furnace tape or use big pop rivots in the 150 ka-zillion holes, and DIY the Raptor in a color same or slightly darker than the silver (or black) of the plastic cladding & leave it all just below that beltline?

—Then, even dirty it’ll still seem decent & now you also rustproofed the worst issue the 450’s have —
(IMO, if you look in my Album you can see in pics my old 450 done this way)

Mine was all big poprivots, and Rhino is thick enough you had to look to see the poprivot heads - If I didn’t say how it was done, you never would have known.

The black 450’s don’t have clearcoat (that I know) - so not like you’re flaking off clearcoat like dandruff, no real reason to line the hood & roof.

Also, a lined hood ::needs:: new shocks/lifters, ‘cause it’s heavy as he!!.
This will be a DIY job. I wanted to avoid decladding so I wouldn’t have to deal with the holes. I’m not completely against it, but just figured it would be more problems to solve. I didn’t put line x in the equation. Seems like all the talk is around raptor,monsta, or al’s.

If you're going to line the whole thing just for rust prevention and not wheel it, then prep prep prep. Get it on there to whatever texture you want, then spray it gloss black rustoleum 2x. It's not to keep it from getting scratched with branches and stuff, so the liner will be a good base for your new glossy paint.

I keep thinking I'll plasti-dip mine because I don't go to places where I'll bump into things. That protects things ok, and I know how to touch it up well enough.
I don’t like the idea of painting over the liner. I said I don’t wheel, but to be more specific it does get scratches on fishing trips. I’d rather not deal with unnecessary touch ups

This. When my bed liner was black I would armorall it and it stayed deep black with a little sheen for quite a while. I still armorall my armor after a bath to darken up the black
I would assume there is nothing in the armorall that would degrade the liner over the long haul.

“Bedlining” a vehicle just baffles me.

Automatic permanent depreciation.

But that’s...just like my opinion

My wifes truck had really bad paint and clear coat peel. instead of spending 5k on a paint job we spent $400 on Monstaliner and it looks awesome, we get compliments every time we drive it. Whats wrong with that? Automatic permanent depreciation or automatic cheap investment and improvement? I like it so much my other truck will be done this spring.

My wifes truck had really bad paint and clear coat peel. instead of spending 5k on a paint job we spent $400 on Monstaliner and it looks awesome, we get compliments every time we drive it. Whats wrong with that? Automatic permanent depreciation or automatic cheap investment and improvement? I like it so much my other truck will be done this spring.

You do you man

There is a heep driving around here that appears to have something in appearance to Vantablack . It is so black it does not seem to reflect any light. If i remember the actual coating information i will post it.

This will be a DIY job. I wanted to avoid decladding so I wouldn’t have to deal with the holes. I’m not completely against it, but just figured it would be more problems to solve. I didn’t put line x in the equation. Seems like all the talk is around raptor,monsta, or al’s.

Ask the other guys of the Midwest how “awesome” those 50 ba-zillion (OK, really 135ish) - are for just being holes, and how much dirt you find behind the cladding, in your cases salty dirt.

I think the whole “liner the whole 80” -thing started from doing the sytle mine is, and grew - just the center raised section of my hood had Rhino 1/8”+ thick & it would drop if the wind was barely gusting, and it had newer ‘Yota hood struts.

If you liner over your cladding, you’re just slapping pancake makeup on it & it’ll hold together due to the liner, but the rot will probably happen underneath.

Take a look, this was my green 450 decladded & poprivots shoved in all the holes.

I beat on it harder than either other 80 I have, and the lining held up great.

@LINUS, do you have any closeup pics of the lined over rivets?

Nope, might have 6-8 pics of the 450 anymore.
It sold quite a few yrs back.

Ask the other guys of the Midwest how “awesome” those 50 ba-zillion (OK, really 135ish) - are for just being holes, and how much dirt you find behind the cladding, in your cases salty dirt.

I think the whole “liner the whole 80” -thing started from doing the sytle mine is, and grew - just the center raised section of my hood had Rhino 1/8”+ thick & it would drop if the wind was barely gusting, and it had newer ‘Yota hood struts.

If you liner over your cladding, you’re just slapping pancake makeup on it & it’ll hold together due to the liner, but the rot will probably happen underneath.

Take a look, this was my green 450 decladded & poprivots shoved in all the holes.

I beat on it harder than either other 80 I have, and the lining held up great.

Linus, what makes you think it will rot from underneath? I can see that if gaskets are bad/gone and water gets in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom