Blacked Out 62 Grill.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took the forum's tip on painting the grill with $7 rattle can bedliner. Two cans 24 hours apart and so far so good. It made it though the flying limbs courtesy of Hurricane Ophelia :cool:

I think it takes 10 years off the old girl and the spotted wonderdog approves.

grill5.jpg

Last edited:
That looks really nice. I'll have to try that, I have way too much yellow showing through on mine.

Yeah, I think it turned out great. My grill before was also peeling, yellow and cracked in 4 places. I hot glued/filled in the large gaps/cracks before painting. The textured paint helped hide my sloppy glue job really well.

Prep: Other guys mentioned sandblasting, I don't have access to one so I pressure washed with neighbor's cheapo sprayer. It took about three days of sun and heat for the paint to really harden but it seems pretty tough and I got 1/2 can left for touchups.

really brings out the logo too. :)

grill

had my grill off to change the radiator, it was a mess so I scraped off the loose chrome, then sanded it with 220. Then I got a can of liquid sandpaper called Will-Bond that I used a lot in the past painting..put it in a spray bottle, soaked the grill with the spray, let it sit a few minutes then sprayed on some satin rustoleum. Total prep time around 45 minutes. Seems to be sticking good.
MVC-028S.JPG

I painted mine as well and have been very happy with it. I just sanded an old OEM chrome grille that I bought used and painted it with a Home Depot primer. It has held up for nearly a year now with no dings or chips at all.
fj front.jpg

Damn, that looks sharp. Looks like I have a project for this weekend.

cbmontgo, I'm sure its been asked, but how did you make the home depot bumper? It looks pretty kick ass!

I have some chrome peeling here and there. I think the black grill will look real good on my dark grey 90'. I think I jus tmight do the same.

Looks good guys.

JOSH

fjman, the bumper is custom made buy a guy in our club, but the primer came from Home Depot. I sanded an old chrome grille and painted it.........surprisingly simple and works/looks good so far.

I blacked out the vents on mine with the satin Krylon and it looks 100% better. Now after see cbmontgos silver rig all blacked out, I see what my Sunday will consist of.

Hodag

cbmontgo said:
I painted mine as well and have been very happy with it. I just sanded an old OEM chrome grille that I bought used and painted it with a Home Depot primer. It has held up for nearly a year now with no dings or chips at all.

that's a NICE rig brotha! nice front bumper too! I definately want to black out my grill and front light doors.

oh boy!, theres gonna be a run on black paint this weekend!!!!!

cbmontgo said:
fjman, the bumper is custom made buy a guy in our club, but the primer came from Home Depot. I sanded an old chrome grille and painted it.........surprisingly simple and works/looks good so far.

I think he meant in your sig it states HD bumper. Hehe. grille looks good. What did you top coat it with?

Thanks, Benji. Too bad you aren't still down here in the DF-Dub. You need to get back to an LSLC mtg some time for old times' sake.

That is a Wilderness rack that I bought used. It is solid as a damn rock too.

Hey Tapage...what kind of lights are those on the bumper. Don't tell me I gotta get them shipped from Panama :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom