Black Smoke underload on my BJ-74 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

Need your help again. I just finished driving from Ottawa to Newfoundland and somewhere along the way I noticed that my truck is blowing a decent puff of black smoke when accelerating through 2nd,3rd and 4th. Typically when the RPMS get around 2000, so it appears when the turbo kicks in. At idle there no smoke at all. I would like to get the problem fixed before my return so I am hoping some one can offer some suggestions.

My truck is a BJ-74, 13BT 5 speed running 33x10.5s with 77,000kms on it. Before I purchased the truck, around 67,000 kms, the valves were adjusted and the timing was done, so I am not thinking that is the problem..however you never know??? :confused:

I have looked through the manual and it suggests to check the air filter before anything, and it is very small amount of dirt but you have to look for it. The manual also mentions to adjust the timing , it states black smoke means timing is advanced,??

Any help would be appreciated.

Also are there any venders here on the list in Canada that carry 24v Pyrometers that I can get shipped to Newfoundland this week? From what I have read through past post, it is something that I really should have to keep help me monitor my temps. The drive through New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and accross Newfoundland was pretty hilly, so I am thinking I would get one for the drive back to keep an eye on the temps just in case that was the cause, especially since I am towing a trailer adding about 1500lbs load.

Thanks,
Todd

Run a good diesel injector cleaner through it or have your injectors serviced. Mine blows a puff of black smoke on initial load also, but goes away after the turbo has kicked in. The TDI's seem to blow dirtier than the IDI engines.

the black smoke is unburnt fuel, this is quite typical of the 13BT and the 12HT engines. unless it is really noticable then, as Stoney suggested, run some fuel conditioner through the systems. i recommend Howels fuel treatment. if it is just under full thrttle then increase the boost and use that extra fuel to give you more power...
it could be as simple as bad tank of fuel...
as far as i know the pyros are just in 12V but i could be wrong.

your importer should have been able to help you out in this concern.

cheers

skinny said:
Also are there any venders here on the list in Canada that carry 24v Pyrometers that I can get shipped to Newfoundland this week?

Todd, most pyrometers are not voltage dependent as the gauge is powered by the thermocouple, the probe you insert into the exhaust. The lighting bulb is voltage dependent of course. Some digital pyros are voltage dependent.

Dave

RACOR makes a conditioner that comes in a 2-part measured bottle. You squeeze the main botle until you get an ounce in the smaller side. I paid $17 and it's good for about 30 tanks. I have used it since I purchased the rig.

Thanks guys for your help, I was hoping it was not too serious. I picked up some injector cleaner today so I will run that through and see what happens. The puff of wmoke happens when I am accelerating hard (well hard for a cruiser that is)

Hey Wayne, you mentioned increasing the boost. Is that an easy adjustment? Or do I need something aftermarket for that. Sorry if that is a dumb question, Turbo is new to me.

Does anyone have a Pyro recommendation then? I would prefer 24 volt, however I do have a 12 volt converter in the truck so I could run 12 volt, but I am trying to limit what I run 12 volt where possible. I thought I read on a previous that there is a 24 volt model available, I was hoping one of the venders on this list would have one for sale that I coud purchase from them.

Thanks,
Todd

Before you play with your boost and/or fuel settings, install a trustworthy boost gauge and pyrometer...

No need to worry about a puff of black smoke, really...unless you're leaving a big thick fog of black behind you all the time like some old rabbit or Mercedes diesels do. :D

Black smoke is more diesel than air un the chamber, or bad inyector. But the inyector don't go one day good and the next day bad .. the black smoke that you say is a sudden issue .. ? if the answer is yes I need to thing in a turbo issue.

Hi everybody!

Skinny, over here, in the french mountains we say if a toyota diesel doesn't smoke it's bad! That means that there's not enough fuel coming in! and you loose power. We all lower the amount of gasoline the injection pump puts out for emission tests, and bring it back up where it should be afterwards! It's getting worse in the summer, as the hot air is thinner and contains less oxygen per volume. Thought the black smoke can also come from some oil being burned. But you already know what would be the cause and how to cure thoses turbo isues.

also the smoke would have a blueish colour to it...
elevation can cause lots of black smoke. he in Clagary i pump out good amounts of black smoke but at sea level i barely see any smoke...

I have seen brand new trucks come off the line and blow black smoke under a load, doesn't mean anything, unless it is excessive.

I need to fix my oil pressure gauge someone please help!!!

Eric,
i have to appologise, i have not been following your problem with the oil guage... start a new thread and let us know some more details.
cheers

For my 74 I bought the issapro pyro with a diode for 24v.The light bulbs are sourced from Caterpillar.This guage fits exactley in the air vent hole to the left of the instrument planel.With out a trailer I have the fuel set so I can't get over 1100.But with a trailer it is deceptivley easy to get into the red zone.It looks like a pyro is not an option when trailering.Cheers Stephen

If your smoke is excessive at WOT while under boost, all the snake oil in the world is not going to help. What you need to do is dial back the boost compensator a bit. Its right there on the side of the pump and easy to adjust. Adding air will have the same effect ( it just a ratio of air : fuel ) bit will give the engine the ability to work harder at WOT and all the consequences that go with that.

Once you get home and have an opportunity to install a pyrometer and boost gauge, you can monkey with both the fuel and air to get an ideal mix for your conditions.

Stone said:
I hope you don't put gasoline in your diesel...:D

If he was burning oil, he should notice the oil being consumed between oil changes when he checks his oil levels.

You could put some Kerosene / Parafine in it. Acts as a good injector cleaner. 1 part in 20 is pretty good mix.

Mine smokes under hard acceleration but pretty good otherwise, however I do know I have a bad injector which I will be getting fixed very soon.

sburles said:
For my 74 I bought the issapro pyro with a diode for 24v.The light bulbs are sourced from Caterpillar.This guage fits exactley in the air vent hole to the left of the instrument planel.With out a trailer I have the fuel set so I can't get over 1100.But with a trailer it is deceptivley easy to get into the red zone.It looks like a pyro is not an option when trailering.Cheers Stephen

Where did you source it (link?) and how much? (if you don;t mind saying).

maybe this is stupid, but how does one increase/decrease boost on a 13bt? Pictures would help. thanks

skinny said:
my truck is blowing a decent puff of black smoke when accelerating through 2nd,3rd and 4th. Typically when the RPMS get around 2000, so it appears when the turbo kicks in.

The problem is with your right foot, not your truck. Unlike your BJ60, which meter's fuel using that goofy butterfly valve/venturi effect/fuel diaphram contraption to only deliver as much fuel as your engine can use despite how impatient you may be with yor right foot, the 13B-T has a direct connection between the right pedal and the fuel delivered by your injection pump.

So, if your 13B-T is smoking black, back off on the pedal because you're giving it more fuel than it can use. If you refuse to learn to drive it without making it smoke, then the others on this board have given you some advice on how to adjust various settnigs such as fuel and boost compensator to reduce the black smoke. All those are mecahnical means of accomplishing the same thing... backing off on the accelerator pedal.

Peter Straub

Does a little black smoke mean you are getting more lube on thoes cylinder walls?

Thanks

GB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom