Black smoke and intermittent power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So this truck (88 fj62) is new to me and I know very little about it. It has a 3b with a turbo on it with about 175k on the motor. I bought it sight unseen ( does seem to be as represented) and a friend drove it 1500 miles home for me. It blew an oil pickup hose for the turbo (from what I can tell) at mile 300. Fixed that and it drove fine. At mile 1450 it began to blow black smoke a lot (clouds of smoke). Also, maybe coincidentally the EDIC kill switch stopped working. I got in today and drove it. Around town, up to about 30 mph it feels like my other 3b. Try to go fast and it feels like a two stroke motor with an intermittently fouled plug, it is smooth and powerful and then all of a sudden jerks to a halt and can't get out of it's own way. Black smoke is constant on acceleration.
Boost gauge is disconnected, EGT looks about like I'd expect - 4-600 around town up to 900 accelerating uphill when I can accelerate.
I plan to fix the boost gauge hose and change the fuel filter - then what? What happened, any ideas?

In looking through here I see references to "waste gate frozen shut" I don't know wether it's open or shut but I certainly can't move the lever, and if I can't I don't know how a vacuum/pressure diaphragm could. Could this be the problem?

Black smoke is air related, likely turbo related and maybe from lack of oil when the line blew?

After you repair the boost gauge, you will have a better idea.

I'll repair the boost gauge and go from there. Now to try to identify the turbo. Thank you

So I bypassed the turbo intake, opened the waste gate and problem mostly solved. Smoke much better. Turbo has resistance though I can spin it by hand, obviously most of the problem. In low gears the truck is strong, but it loses power above 2000rpm. I think this might be exhaust restriction from the now inoperable turbo, but I'll replace the fuel filter as well. Now for the turbo: it says TD05-H Re No KD 1900164. Anyone recognize it?
image.jpg

EDIC has three positions; off/run/start. if you started blowing black at the same time as your 'edic' malfunctioned its likely that the 'fuel control relay' (behind passenger kick panel,...it controls EDIC), is shot and stuck on start(overinjection/more fuel = black smoke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom