Black Smoke and Heavy Oil Use after engine rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI

I have just had quite a major Engine rebuild done on my 1979 BJ40. New pistons sleeves, new piston rings, new head, (ground) all new gaskets and seals. New pre-combustion chambers. All new pipes for the cooling system. And anything else that was worn or used was replaced.

Since getting it back on the road it has black smoke nearly all the time, not only under heavy acceleration, from the exhaust. It also has oil dripping from the Crankcase breather tube. I have used 15 litres of 15W40 oil in 3000km. Neither of these problems were there prior to the rebuild. Not one drip of fluid escaped from anywhere on the car.

I have been reading various threads on the forums, and there seems to be a lot of differing ideas about these issues. Including air/fuel mix ratio and PCV valve and faulty injectors. I know nothing about cars, I just enjoy driving, so this is all in the hands of a mechanic.

I took it back to him and he said that as everything is new, we need to give it a bit more time to see if it "settles down".

Anyone have and ideas what I should be looking at doing, replacing or changing to get this under control??

P.s: I was looking to replace the PCV valve on the car... but I can not even find it!!!

Thanks
Jules

3000km shakedown period? I'd be asking bigger questions.

PS. Try the diesel section. Although @lostmarbles is a B motor nut.

I have just had quite a major Engine rebuild done on my 1979 BJ40. New pistons sleeves, new piston rings, new head, (ground) all new gaskets and seals. New pre-combustion chambers. All new pipes for the cooling system. And anything else that was worn or used was replaced.

Since getting it back on the road it has black smoke nearly all the time, not only under heavy acceleration, from the exhaust. It also has oil dripping from the Crankcase breather tube. I have used 15 litres of 15W40 oil in 3000km. Neither of these problems were there prior to the rebuild. Not one drip of fluid escaped from anywhere on the car...

Hi there Jules

Your mechanic has obviously made mistakes while reconditioning your engine..

I know this isn't the news you want to hear but there's no way these problems (of black smoke, dripping breather tube and massive oil loss) can be considered "normal" following reconditioning work (and they certainly can't be cured by "running in").

From the sound of things, this mechanic is lacking both expertise and experience and I doubt they'll ever be able to "put it right". (There's no way a decent mechanic would say "give it a bit more time to see if it settles down" if you told them what you're telling us about the extent of the back smoke and oil consumption.)

On the bright side, the black smoke could be simply from the injection timing being set too far advanced.

As for the dripping from the breather tube and the 5 litres of oil per 1000km --- Something the mechanic's done related to the sleeves, pistons and rings is likely to be flawed.

Unfortunately I don't think I'd have the confidence in this person to believe that they're capable of fixing their mistakes.
:beer:

Hi there Jules

Your mechanic has obviously made mistakes while reconditioning your engine..

I know this isn't the news you want to hear but there's no way these problems (of black smoke, dripping breather tube and massive oil loss) can be considered "normal" following reconditioning work (and they certainly can't be cured by "running in").

From the sound of things, this mechanic is lacking both expertise and experience and I doubt they'll ever be able to "put it right". (There's no way a decent mechanic would say "give it a bit more time to see if it settles down" if you told them what you're telling us about the extent of the back smoke and oil consumption.)

On the bright side, the black smoke could be simply from the injection timing being set too far advanced.

As for the dripping from the breather tube and the 5 litres of oil per 1000km --- Something the mechanic's done related to the sleeves, pistons and rings is likely to be flawed.

Unfortunately I don't think I'd have the confidence in this person to believe that they're capable of fixing their mistakes.
:beer:

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure if any mechanic here is Spain is actually up to the job from what I have seen so far.

FYI no PCV on a B.....the PCV is the down pipe that spews into the enviroment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom