Black Rock Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Darcie and I are heading up to the black rock on Friday and are going to work our way northeast towards Denio. I am still working on the routes, so nothing hard planned yet, and I know that it is short notice, but if anyone wants to go along just let me know.

We are leaving Friday and will stay out till Monday, if anyone goes, they can bail out at anytime to head back.

See everyone at the meeting tomorrow.

Jack

:mad: Err. I was just trying to get out of the stuff I have to do this weekend, I haven't figured it out yet.

Enjoy... I'm still unpacking and selling things like mad. It's so nice to live where people will actually come look at stuff.

Maybe next year we can go on something like this.... Of course, we will have to park a little distance away since there will likely be a screaming brat along with us:)

Enjoy... I'm still unpacking and selling things like mad. It's so nice to live where people will actually come look at stuff.

Maybe next year we can go on something like this.... Of course, we will have to park a little distance away since there will likely be a screaming brat along with us:)

Thanks.

I have a theory about "screaming brats." I think there is a vacuum leak around the base of the head or neck (not sure which), that causes them to scream, so if you just screw their heads on a little tighter, then the leak should stop...right? :grinpimp:

I guess its a good thing we are not having kids.

Jack

Thanks.

I have a theory about "screaming brats." I think there is a vacuum leak around the base of the head or neck (not sure which), that causes them to scream, so if you just screw their heads on a little tighter, then the leak should stop...right? :grinpimp:

I guess its a good thing we are not having kids.

Jack

My dads theory was to tell you to be quiet or he would give you something to cry about.....

Worked every time on me, but the wife thinks he was too harsh and has threatened to shoot me if I do the same to our kids. She might change her mind after listening to screaming though....:eek:

Did you make it? We were up 3 wks ago and the playa was a no-go.

Also, how did the Summit Lake closure affect you, or did you go via Vya?

Paul

Did you make it? We were up 3 wks ago and the playa was a no-go.

Also, how did the Summit Lake closure affect you, or did you go via Vya?

Paul

We made it and had a great time. The playa was good to go. We crossed on the California/immigrant trail from Sulfer to the Black Rock Point, we even crossed the Quinn River. That was very scary, because we were by ourselves. We ended up camping at Double Hot Springs the first night and there were people that had crossed the playa to get there, so I think it's in pretty good shape.

We ended up going through the Summit Lake Reservation and had no problems. There were no signs or gates and no one tried to stop us.

Here is the link to the pictures. I haven't finished adding all of the comments/story.

locrwln : photos : Black Rock Desert May 2009

Jack

Looks like another good trip.
I'm glad to hear that the Summit Lake road is still open. How far north did you guys wind up going?

Looks like another good trip.
I'm glad to hear that the Summit Lake road is still open. How far north did you guys wind up going?

It was.

We were too, we had originally tried to go up the "East" side of the playa, next to mountains, unfortunately, the wilderness and ranch blocked the access, so we had to back track 25 miles and that is why we ended up camping at Double Hot Springs.

We basically crossed almost due east from Summit Lake, we followed a road over the mountain range and then turned north from there. We worked our way up to Knott Creek Reservoir. Too many bugs, so we moved on and ended up at Onion, still too muddy, the snow looked like it had just melted within the last couple of days, so there was mud and snow everywhere.

We then worked our way up to the Blue Lake trailhead and prepared to hike up to the lake. We had to fight through some snow/mud to get there. We started up the trail and only got about 50 foot and the snow was too deep. So we started down the Onion Rd. to Hwy. 140 and ran into the snow drift (the one in the pictures that looks like I was stuck, because I was). Winched our way out of that and headed over the summit. Ran into some even larger drifts, so we turned around and back down the other side we went.

We came out on the highway, and headed east to Denio, turned south and headed south on 140. We turned northeast up toward the King River Valley area. We found a great camp spot and called it a night.

We got up Sunday morning and headed home to get everything all cleaned up. I had a good 1" of mud under the entire cruiser, not to mention what ended up on the roof, hood and windows. :D

Had a great time.

Jack

Glad to hear you are back.

It's always hard to say when your not there to look at the mud, but from the general idea I'd say you have a set of brass b*lls crossing Quinn by yourselves this time of year. That creek is the reason I carry a dead man to winch to.

Sounds like a fun time.

Me too.

Forgot to add, 672 miles door to door and about 350 of it was dirt.:cool:

Jack

It's always hard to say when your not there to look at the mud, but from the general idea I'd say you have a set of brass b*lls crossing Quinn by yourselves this time of year. That creek is the reason I carry a dead man to winch to.

Sounds like a fun time.

I wasn't sure if it was brave or stupid. I just locked the axles, low range, 1st gear and hammered it. I think I got really lucky. I really need to buy a pull-pal.

Jack

After living in Gerlach for three years, I can honestly say you "Clank" when you walk crossing the Quinn right now.

After viewing your pictures again, I can say your so lucky that "Flash flood" didn't take you and the crusher with it. That was even braver than crossing the Quinn.

Last edited:
After living in Gerlach for three years, I can honestly say you "Clank" when you walk crossing the Quinn right now.

After viewing your pictures again, I can say your so lucky that "Flash flood" didn't take you and the crusher with it. That was even braver than crossing the Quinn.

:lol::lol::lol:

You know what they say: "If you aren't living on the edge, you are taking up too much space..."

Good shots, thanks for putting them up!

Thanks, it was fun taking them.:grinpimp:

Jack

Just drove back to Reno via 50. More snow in the mountain ranges of Nevada than what we saw in New Mexico, Utah and Colorado! Looks like Kingston still has a little snow over the trail...and more up higher.

Glad to hear you didn't get too stuck Jack!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom