Black door handles; easy install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
A little while ago I found black exterior door handles for my 62. I got around to slapping them on this weekend and they look SO much better than chrome. I originally wanted to just strip the chrome from my OEM handles, have them powder coated black and then put them back on. What kept me from doing that was the driver's door had a broken spring, and every handle's gasket was falling apart (and you can't get just gaskets. You need a whole handle). So on Rockauto I found Needa brand black handles made for '84 - '88 4Runners (on the box it actually says '89 - '95 Hilux and 4Runners). 95558 for the left side and 95559 for the right side. Front and back are identical so just order two of both. Honestly from what I can tell it looks like they're identical left to right also. I can't see ANY difference, save for which ear the plastic clip (that you pull out and throw away anyway since it's not used in our trucks) is attached to. Install is very easy. Literally the only modification needed to be made to the handles is the rear-most hole for connecting the linkage needs to be drilled out to 5/16". Easy to do with a sharp HSS bit and a drill on low/medium speed.

Handle 01 - Drilled.jpg

If the plastic clip/sleeve from your door linkage is still in good shape, you can still use that (I was able to). Simply remove it from the linkage, insert it into the drilled out hole in the new handle. From here you want to readjust the pin that sits on the threaded portion of the linkage rod so that when it's attached to the door handle, the bottom part rests against the forward stop on the horizontal rod. There's a spring behind it that helps to hold it in place. You just want to thread the upper pin up or down to find the best placement to allow the spring to hold the vertical rod forward.

Handle 03 - Rod End.jpg

Once the rod is adjusted properly just press it into the plastic clip/sleeve by hand and you're set. You will have to adjust the rod in each door since the ears on these handles are just slightly different from the ears on the OEM handles.

Handle 02 - Adjusted.jpg

All done and a big improvement over the chrome, IMO.

Handle 04 - Exterior.jpg

the lock retainer clip in photo #2 is not straight and level ?

that's NOT Kool ...........

the lock retainer clip in photo #2 is not straight and level ?

that's NOT Kool ...........
You mean the zinc plated clip holding the cylinder in place? It's level. I was just at an odd angle holding my phone into the door cavity.

What're those black parts in your pic? Looks like exterior trim/molding for the lock cylinders?

You mean the zinc plated clip holding the cylinder in place? It's level. I was just at an odd angle holding my phone into the door cavity.

What're those black parts in your pic? Looks like exterior trim/molding for the lock cylinders?

yes

all the kits come with a anodized dark bronze caps too ?

i have never seen any toyota with factory dark color face caps have you ?

yes

all the kits come with a anodized dark bronze caps too ?

i have never seen any toyota with factory dark color face caps have you ?
Oh wait, those are replacements for the outer round part shown in this pic?

.jpg

Hoooooo I like the idea of having a black one....

Dang. Saw this and got on Rockauto right away, only 1 driver side left. I searched around and it seems everybody is out of Needa brand (looks a bit higher quality than other black plastic ones) handles. Hopefully the get restocked somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom