Builds BJ75 Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another project in recent weeks was to get a cover for the bed. When driving off road for camping, etc., I'm hoping this keeps the dust down a little. I put the cover on a couple months ago but it was sagging in the middle. Found some aluminum at my dads house and we built this. Fits well and gives the right amount of support for the cover. A nut was welded in some pipe we had, then bolted into the channel. We cut the channel so it would have minimal height over the bed rail. This gave up some strength, so we added another short piece on top. It holds up the cover well but is not something I would use to support/carry anything on top.

IMG_6507.jpeg

IMG_8941.JPG

IMG_8942.JPG

IMG_8933.JPG

IMG_8934.JPG

And last, the finished bed cover on the flat bows. Uses the factory hooks on the side of the bed with a UV resistant bungee that wraps all the way around. Up front it was trimmed to work around the tire and hi-lift jack, using straps and uv resistant buckles to grab on to the factory spots on the front of the bed that I can run a strap through. Because it would be a pain to use a buckle behind the tire, we used a bungee cord/hook. The cover was made by Huish's in Orem, Utah; they make custom awnings and boat covers. Cost was about $250 for the cover. Should last 8 years in the sun and outdoor weather before needing to be replaced.

IMG_8939.JPG

IMG_8940.JPG

If anyone needs a locking gas cap that fits the Toyota spout (not threaded), this cap from Napa does the job. Part number 703-1842, about $12. I have front and rear fuel tanks and while Napa does not sell a key-matched set, a little calling around helped me find two of them with the same key number.

The cap just pushes on and clicks to lock. Put the key in and twist the key, cap pops out and can be removed.

IMG_8935.JPG

IMG_8936.JPG

IMG_8937.JPG

The IPF Lights were also on the truck when it arrived, they were installed by a previous owner and were wired to one battery since they are 12v. I changed this setup so that the lights run off of the 24v-12v step down converter through a relay.

cheap but solid product that’s 24v compatible

But if you want serious firepower call Rob Smith at Odd Iron Offroad for a pair of Aurora’s.

And last, the finished bed cover on the flat bows. Uses the factory hooks on the side of the bed with a UV resistant bungee that wraps all the way around. Up front it was trimmed to work around the tire and hi-lift jack, using straps and uv resistant buckles to grab on to the factory spots on the front of the bed that I can run a strap through. Because it would be a pain to use a buckle behind the tire, we used a bungee cord/hook. The cover was made by Huish's in Orem, Utah; they make custom awnings and boat covers. Cost was about $250 for the cover. Should last 8 years in the sun and outdoor weather before needing to be replaced.

View attachment 2139738

View attachment 2139739
That’s what I wanted but couldn’t find a shop willing to work with me on this. So I modified a folding hard top for a full size long bed truck. I posted this in my thread ak hi-75

A heavy little Christmas gift in the form of an Odd Iron Off Road 70 series recovery point showed up today. I pulled the Cruiser in from the rain and started the install. About 15 minutes total with a 19mm wrench and socket. Good instructions were provided, though I took some photo's as well so others can see how easy this is to install.

IMG_9086.JPG

First step was removing the existing long bolt that goes through the ARB bumper and frame
IMG_9087.jpg

Next step was to place this nut above the unused hole in the ARB bumper. Cool design, makes it easy to hold this in place while you do the next step, which was to insert the recovery point through the front of the bumper.
IMG_9091.JPG

IMG_9092.jpg

As you can see, the bumper does not need to be removed for this install; this was very well thought out and extremely easy to install.
IMG_9089.JPG

View from above, you can hold the lower nut in place with the connected rod, or adjust as needed if you bump it a little
IMG_9093.jpg

Last steps were to insert the long bolt through the recovery point and bumper, and insert the bolt into the nut that has the connected rod. Tighten everything up and its done!

Very nice design, workmanship and functionality of this piece. The price was also great. Thanks Charles and Rob!

IMG_9094.JPG

IMG_9095.JPG

IMG_9096.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom