BJ74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm taking a bj74 in on trade, for a 81 and it looks clean. but he says it only get 20 to 22 mpg on the highway? my old bj60 got 28 mpg at 100km and 25 at 110 / 115

i think a good running 13bt should get close to 30 its direct injected a little more efficient than a 3b
hey i was wondering how you are doing and how are the prados
aaron

direct injection seems to pull in poorer fuel milage according to the reports i have had come back...still one of the best engiens for fuel economy in a crusier is a NA 3B...

By my calculations I am getting 21 MPG around the city. That is using 3.8L per gallon for a 80L tank. Also I have an auto right now which I believe might eat up 1 or 2 MPG's.

wow i still learn something or relearn every day thanks for the tune up, hey your team is whipping ours again

I thought the 73 and 74s had a 90l tank...

Yeah I'm pretty sure they do. Just filled up and it took 84L. I guess I'll have to redo my #'s.

buddy, are you trying to suck up the crap from the bottom of the tank on purpose? 6L left is getting pretty close...

direct injection seems to pull in poorer fuel milage according to the reports i have had come back...still one of the best engiens for fuel economy in a crusier is a NA 3B...

Thing about having more power, is that you use more power. In Theory, if you drove as slow as a NA 3B, you would get better milage from your DI engine.

Best milage I ever got from my 'old' 12H-T in the HJ61 was while convoying behind Lowenbrau's CDN spec HJ60 with the 2H. I was driving at 2H speeds and accellerations. When we filled up, I put in about $18, he put in $30*. The DI's are definately more efficient, if you can drive them more efficiently.

In the abscence of a throttle control such as someone ahead of you going slow, you tend only to get get throttled by the Montana Highway Patrol, going uphill into a head wind at 87** mph. Right Greg?

Peter Straub
*All numbers and figures are complete fabrications of my imagination for the purpose of telling a better story.
**This number is not fabricated, rather, certified and documented by MHP.

buddy, are you trying to suck up the crap from the bottom of the tank on purpose? 6L left is getting pretty close...

I like to run it down close to empty so I can better judge my milage, + I only fill up at a couple of select stations so sometimes I get real low before I get around to filling up. Is that really a concern? I thought that's what filters were for?

The DI's are definately more efficient, if you can drive them more efficiently.
Peter Straub

my friend, you are so far out to lunch...

My BJ74 with 13bt auto ranges from about 23-26mpg (that's imperial). Mostly city/ winding road, and it does make a difference how hard I drive it, as Peter says. Not entirely sure I could even go 87 mph, even downhill with a tailwind...

The size of the tank has nothing to do with MPG calculations.
Calculate the miles [or Km] travelled since the last fill-up [corrected for tire size if required] and divide by the number of gallons [or litres] to fill-up the tank. Other methods using tank size are innacurate guesses.

I was being lazy. For some reason I thought the tank was 80L and I was on empty, so I did a rough calculation. I am well aware of how to accurately calculate MPG's, but thanks for the tip.

The actual MPG's on my last tank, all city was 20.25 MPG's.

Hey gang,

The calculation of 3.8 lt per gal is for US gal. Imp gal is 4.54 lt. If you calc in MPG US you add about 20% to get MPG imp.

All that said, my BJ74 has a 90 lt tank. I normally get about 21 mpg US (24+ MPG imp). I have an A440 auto and do drive around Vancouver where we have the hills.

My injectors have not yet been replaced. I'll bet I'd be at about 23 mpg (27 imp) if I replaced the injectors. As stated MANY times on these threads, tire size and width has a huge impact on efficiency.

Bruce in Tsawwassen

whats it worth

thanx for all the info

now whats this thing worth ?

it has a macanical winch 12 24 inverter p/s p/w c/c aac

131000km

My 13-bt in a BJ74:

L/100km: 12.07 (9.5 to 17.5)
US mpg: 19.47
UK mpg: 23.36

Like it looks, this is the work of an obsessive-compulsive. A record kept on most fills of odometer and fuel to fill. Driving either highway or bush-bashing, mostly with air-con.

Last edited:
In the abscence of a throttle control such as someone ahead of you going slow, you tend only to get get throttled by the Montana Highway Patrol, going uphill into a head wind at 87** mph. Right Greg?

I woulda just laughed and said innocently but with a tone that indicated you thought the cop was nuts that that heap couldn't go that fast. It worked for me when I was stopped outside of Calgary doing 145 kmh in my old dented and rusty j**p a few years ago.

-kevin

bj74 mileage

we own a 89 bj74 with the 3.5 13 bt

tire size and gearing seem to have a lot to do with mileage...we have 33 inch bf at's with 4.11 gears

hwy mileage is 33-34 and city is 27-28

with smaller tires we had for winter drivng it was slightly higher....yes we do know how to figure out mileage and we are in ontario....so we are measuring in imperial gallons....4.5 liters/gallon

this is still great mileage for a truck of this weight and 4X4

later

marco and monique

Ya, I represent that one...What were we...loaded down with 4 guys and all their gear for a weekends outing?

DI vs IDI...Something about pumping losses, precups, total engine efficiency. I dunno, that sounds familure though.

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom