BJ74 Seats with dampers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys

I just bought this beautifull 1987 BJ74 with PTO Winch and full Lockers (not sure whether this was std on all of them). I was surprised to find out that even the seats are on dampers and move up and down on bad roads.

Hence my question, are these serviceable or would they need new dampers after many years etc. Where can I find more Info??

SL271534.JPG

they are spring load and unless there has been a huge ass bouncing on them you should be fine.
nice looking rig M8

Thanks for the clarification. So, no need to have them checked/retentioned etc.?!
Must say, I did not feel anything wrong.

The suspension seats old BJ70 have kind of crapped out after 600,000 km. They go down when I get in and never come back up. I have, at times, weighed pretty close to the 100kg limit of them. I think, after time, the springs do get stretched. The linkages could probably use some lube now and again as well. I always wanted to experiment with an airbag to replace the spring.

My 70's suspension seats were already sacked when I got it 15 years ago - it had 220,000 on it.
I thought they were all like that until I got my 74 - I was shocked to find out they actually work!

I always wanted to experiment with an airbag to replace the spring.

x2 on that.

i was thinking of an air shock, if i could find one small enough to fit.

i'm over the 100kg limit :eek: ... but the suspension seats seem to work ok.

Last edited:
They have two springs and one damper each, so either of them could be shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom