BJ74 random coolant leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to track down a random coolant leak that seems to be dripping down from the rim of my oil pan. It is random and doesn't happen everyday. I'm having trouble trying to track it down. I checked the radiator and all hoses and everything seems to be good. Any help is greatly appreciated 😅

One word for you...

Head Gasket.

Ok, that's two words. Factory installed head gaskets on 13BT's in the 80's were not the new fangled and excellent Multi-Layer Steel gaskets that Toyota will sell you today as a replacement. The original head gaskets seem to survive driving conditions in Japan, but the way we drive them in North America, those 35 year old fabric gaskets just don't hold up. I've had to replace head gaskets on almost every BJ74 I've bought. But once the new MLS gaskets go in, you're good to go.

From my experience:
Leaks from Radiator and hoses (incl heater feed) end up dripping to the floor.
Leaks from Thermostat housing end up on top of the waterpump (there is kind of a dent up on it).
Drops running down the engine block may come from the water pump (behind pully) or (rather rare) from between pump and block, or from the two temp sensors, or from any of the freez plugs.
What you experience as intermittent leak may be associated to engine temp: When te block is hot, the drips evaporate.
I'd take a close look at the freez plugs. There are reports on those rusting inside out, which is also dangerous: When a plug suddently fails you loose all your coolant and your engine is shot.
Good Luck Ralf

Last edited:
One word for you...

Head Gasket.

Ok, that's two words. Factory installed head gaskets on 13BT's in the 80's were not the new fangled and excellent Multi-Layer Steel gaskets that Toyota will sell you today as a replacement. The original head gaskets seem to survive driving conditions in Japan, but the way we drive them in North America, those 35 year old fabric gaskets just don't hold up. I've had to replace head gaskets on almost every BJ74 I've bought. But once the new MLS gaskets go in, you're good to go.
I also thought about that, but was wondering if such a leak would make it all the way down to the oilpan, without being noticeable also on top. But probably tucking somewhere under the manifolds. But yes, good shot...
Cheers Ralf

Thanks for the reply's guys! Greatly appreciated, I had planned on replacing the head gasket at 200,000 kms. After a lot of time under the hood it is not the head gasket. I'm still searching but my mechanic that works on the truck says it may be the turbo cooling line.

One word for you...

Head Gasket.

Can you still source the MLS gaskets?

Yes you can still get that.

11115-58110

Yeah some leaks don’t present until the heat gets up and thermostat opens. I would definitely tighten all hoses for the free check.

Is it right under the turbo?
Thanks Ben! It drips down the passenger side oil pan from what I can see

Freeze plug?
Heater hose connection threaded into the block?

Update! So it ended up being the water pump was leaking! I was able to notice it because the leak got bigger and more frequent. Brand new OEM water pump from @cruiseroutfit and it's running smoother than ever. Thanks for everybody who gave their 2 cents. Helped me check off alot of boxes
Cheers 👍🏼

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom