Bj74 pto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to install a pto into this bullbar, As I don't have any factory brackets I will need to fab a bar & brackets for the rear of pto, directly to bullbar rail attachments
So far I can se the pto needs to sit at a correct height inside chassis rails in order for the shafts to clear the radiator and protector plate .
Hoping someone can provide some measurements on pto depth inside rails on a factory set up so when I fab up brackets etc , I do it once and not make a mess of the bar
View attachment 950200

Well, I'm in the same boat, on my 61. I have all the stock parts, but wanna do a bodylift and raise the pto shaft above the frame crossmember. Hence, the rad needs a lift.
Do you have a hole in the crossmember, or do you have the tube crossmember?
I can get some measures in a few hours, specify what you need.

Tube crossmember, the measurement I think I need to start with is the horizontal angle iron that bolts to to rear of pto, and attaches to chassis rail, Where does it sit relative to the chassis rail eg, 30mm 50mm below top of chassis rails , once I have that depth I can work the rest out??
As I don't have that angle from a bj74' but have one from a hj61, I will need to cut down to size and make brackets each end to bolt into and through bullbar to chassis rail threads, the trick is at what depth should the angle iron be.
The bj74 angle is different to a 60 angle , as the 74 angle is steps down a fraction at each end, if possible need a depth from centre/ middle of angle to top of chassis rail, and a couple of pics to support as well if possible

Hmm... I looked at mine, and i guess those measures are that different.
My angle iron sits on top of frame.
But you should just find a route for the driveshaft, and try to put the winch as high and far back as possible.

uploadfromtaptalk1412770483454.jpg

Here you can see where the DS passes through the frame on mine.
Also, the winch is offset approximately 2" to drivers side, you can see the holes in the angle iron and on the front bumper.
uploadfromtaptalk1412770554243.jpg

I don't know if this helps, since your frame is different?

Thanks Norway, your assistance is appreciated unlike the bj74 community, would've expected more from those guys but as the saying goes " hard to find good help"

No problemo.
Do you see any common reference points i should measure from?
I'm not sure how i should proceed to mount mine in my bumper.
Also having fantasies of putting it underneath the rig, maybe behind the rear axle... And runnig it back to a pulley, and forward to a clean, lighter bumper.
Biggest issue is how to remotely acuate the free spool.
Looking at a air solenoid, but it's a gamble underneath the rig when in mud or other troubles.

It's little difficult to see as your angle sits on top and the 74 fits/attaches to the sides of the chassis rail, I'm just going to have to wait until I see another 74 with winch and take measurements myself. Thanks for your offer
Your fantasy of having winch underneath rig sounds like it would cause unforeseen issues in my opinion, as these are HD applications, and HD mounts would be required to ensure everything is aligned and fitted very secure, plus as you mentioned when you do need to engage, it would no doubt be bathing in a mud pool.
Can't you bolt up your pto to angle where is and then see if the shaft aligns through the hole and meets the the other shaft attached to pillow blocks ?

I got all the stock components, just missing the pillow block mount on the frame, since it's been swapped.
So it bolts right up to everything as it is now, and the shaft would pass though the frame.

The issue is, if I'm gonna keep the shaft in the same location with the aftermarket bumper, the bumper would be low and to far forward.

If I'd place it underneath the rig, engagement could be solved with a stick and linkage.
HD mounts would not be an issue.

Sounds like you have it sorted, good luck with it all, post some pics once you have completed which option you will run with.

my installation would rarely get used in a extreme situation, mine is more for something to do as it's fun to play with, I like the idea of having pto insurance, but the reality is, using it for it's intended function would be rare.

Measurements anyone, anyone,........anyone own a bj74 on this site??

Yeah I do, but my PTO/bumper are not "a factory set up" which you specifically requested………..Hope you're getting the help you need.

Yeah I do, but my PTO/bumper are not "a factory set up" which you specifically requested………..Hope you're getting the help you need.
Thanks for the response, if you have stock pto & shafts on bj74 I'm assuming the pto shaft still needs to clear the bottom of radiator and top of the protector plate, any info you have would still be useful and help me greatly , as the position / measurement of the pto in relation to chassis rail is the hardest part to ensure all holes in bullbar , & brackets are aligned , I would prefer to this installation once and not make a mess of it in a guesstimate attempt.
Cheers

couple of pics of mine.

not the best quality off my phone.

IMG_2666.jpg IMG_2667.jpg IMG_2668.jpg IMG_2670.jpg IMG_2674.JPG

looking at it now i think mine needs a little bit of love:doh:

Thanks carpet, that does help, if I can ask 1 more favour, the measurement between inside chassis rail and inside edge of the pto it self, eg image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom