BJ74 Poptop, modular top camper or something

Who is really in overlanding, will sell their mid wheel base , and buy a 78 .
More space , more body length, all steel , and far less hassle.
KISS , keep it simple and stupid .

flx

Login • Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/travel_beasts You can push the 73 platform pretty far xD

A 78 is particularly useful/simple if you want to sleep in your car but if you remove this need and accept to live outside for the time of your trip, there is enough space in a SWB or MWB for 2 peoples and their gear, particularly if you want to keep it simple.
On Youtube and Instagram you can find plenty of people that did the full Europe to Cape Town or Europe to Singapore in a *J70, a KDJ125, a Land Rover 89, etc. and pretty sure you can fin people that did the full Panamerican in a 3D Jeep.

Did it with a1950 cj3a. 2wk Baja adventure in mid 80s. Will produce pics once I clean out my storage.

BTW, that trip beat the hell out of us.
A old jeep is so small and light that if you have 4 fit guys some rope and poles and carry your gear in a trailer you can get the rig through almost anything by shuttling. (unload the trailer at the big obstacles or mudholes) and use manpower/ropes and poles to get through. Most modern vehicles to include a short wheelbase LC70 are too heavy for this type of thing. Most modern middle aged guys with time and money to overland aren't wanting to do that sort of hard, dirty adventure anymore.

Surplus Army HMMWV trailer is a great platform for overlanding in a mid wheelbase vehicle. Not too heavy plenty strong/durable enough for off road, and with canvas top and poles it's big enough to sleep in out of the weather on stretchers cots or hammocks. Put your gear in the trailer and keep your truck light and uncluttered. Unhitch and explore nearby more difficult tracks. Pull out your gear when you set up camp making enough room to sleep in the trailer. Trailer is also tall enough to sleep under it and be out of the rain(use wheel chocks).

trailer probably wouldn't have worked. going in from the west to mikes sky ranch, I estimated 3 hrs @ 5 mph...6 hours later....lots of boulders crossed.

I think the racers do that stretch @ 40+ mph.

One of the coldest nights I've slept was next to the creak below msr. Every stitch of clothing went on, including rain gear.

FJBen

SILVER Star
Just stumbled on this on a French Facebook group about 4x4 setups :
View attachment 2717906
View attachment 2717909

Not much details on the original link but maybe it can be a little inspiration or able to ask questions :

Thats pretty much the idea. The good point is that the extended top I have is a mold/skin over the factory top so it takes some of the guessing and configuring away. Thanks for that post!

@renago
Again, I don't plan on going on huge trips for weeks at a time (at this point) I know a troopy would be better for that. I have the top for free, and after we finish moving/remodelling our place I'll start working on it again.

flx

More pictures of the KZJ73 conversion completed :
1629710611477.png

FJBen

SILVER Star
I just got mostly settled in at our new place and finally got the top back in my possession. Hopefully will start digging into it again soon.

Reactions: flx

joekatana

GOLD Star
After owning a troopy with a pop top I vote for a roofrack with a roof top tent unless you plan to go out camping every other weekend or so . I actually have a 73 roofrack here that was on a hzj73 and they traveled with it from Belgium to Mongolia and back a decade ago fully loaded as this was a young couple with 2 small trips on a extened travel , think they took over a year on that trip and the roofrack and frp held up without any issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom