BJ74 custom drawers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I should post up some pics of the drawers I built for my BJ74. I wanted to create an organized space for storing spare parts, engine/gear oil, recovery/emergency gear and my SAR gear. The truck is 24V, so another design parameter I had was a seperate, somewhat hidden, space for a third battery (to run 12V accessories) and the 24-12V convertor that will keep the battery charged.

This is the space I had to work with. I didn't want to remove the rear seat as I plan on having passengers sitting back there from time to time. That was obviously the greatest factor that influenced my design.

DSC_1207.jpg

I wanted the drawers to be pretty sturdy so I used 200lb slides from lee valley. The downside with these slides is that they are 3/4" thick, so If I use 3/4" plywood for the drawers as well I will lose 3" in width for each drawer. If these slides fail I guess I will have to use the extra heavy duty slides instead. They are rated for 400lbs!

DSC_1220.jpg

Test fitting the electric components. There looks like there should be enough room for future gadgets as well (ie. uhf/vhf radio, stereo amp, etc.). I plan on installing a fuse block for all my 12V connections in this viscinity as well.

DSC_1222.jpg

Looks like there is enough head room. I decided to extend the top deck over the wheel well on the right side to provide additional storage space (accessable from the rear of the truck when the door is openned fully). I plan on installing something similar on the left side but I will be using a hinge of some sort so I can access the gear from above. This will also make it easier to remove the stock jack if need be.

DSC_1224.jpg

Finial touches. The liner looks nice, but it isn't waterproof (which is important when you own a water loving dog!) so I will be adding some type of water proof carpet on top as well.

DSC_1282.jpg

The drawers have been installed and seem to be working good so far. I had to leave the truck out at the lake (I need the garage space right now for the HJ60) so when I head out there next I will get some pics of the final product...

nice work!!
efficient use of space is important with these little trucks. i always wanted a 60/40 split bench that could fold into a bed, so a passenger could sleep on road trips.
eric

Looks great Lance!

the liner

Hey Lance,

where did you get the liner from? and, does it come in brown? believe it or not, I am almost done my attempt at this. It is nowhere near as nice as yours but it'll get the job done.

Finial touches. The liner looks nice, but it isn't waterproof (which is important when you own a water loving dog!) so I will be adding some type of water proof carpet on top as well.

DSC_1282.jpg

The drawers have been installed and seem to be working good so far. I had to leave the truck out at the lake (I need the garage space right now for the HJ60) so when I head out there next I will get some pics of the final product...

I got it from the upholstery shop down the street from 4 wheel auto (Waynes Uphostery I think?). They had a few color selections, but I can't recall if they had brown. I believe they refer to it as trunk liner.

It looks nice, but it's a bit pricey in my opinion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom