BJ73 with H55F transfer case rebuild part questions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I"m going to be tearing into my Tcase soon. Gear whine and bearing noise with some occasional slow speed squeaking when first engaging the 4wd. Theres a little slop and some oil leakage in both shafts. My plan would be to tear into it and replace the bearings and seals that are obviously bad and use RTV gasket maker to seal everything back up. I can order all the bearings and seals from Partsouq for right about $200+ shipping. I tried the local Toyota dealer, but every part is 2-4X as expensive as the price from Partsouq and on backorder. Based on this it is still cheaper/just as fast to order from Partsouq even if I can't send anything back that I don't need.
Any Idea on the likely minimum parts needed? I'm thinking Front and rear output bearing and seals. Do the bearings(2Xneedle, and 1 big) on the idler shaft normally go out too? Thinking about ordering what I think I need from partsouq and then getting the other bearings from the dealer if necessary?.......It's a balance of time and money I'm trying to do. I really think I can substitute RTV for all the case gaskets. This seams to work on most things that I've done holding gear oil.

Any thoughts?

My thoughts?!

If you’re going to go thru the time and effort of tearing the case apart, then why “get the minimum parts required”?!
Buy a complete rebuild kit and be done with it.
Happy to elaborate and we have the kits in stock.
Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers
Shop 209-475-8808
Sales@valleyhybrids.com

My thoughts?!

If you’re going to go thru the time and effort of tearing the case apart, then why “get the minimum parts required”?!
Buy a complete rebuild kit and be done with it.
Happy to elaborate and we have the kits in stock.
Shop 209-475-8808
Sales@valleyhybrids.com
I'll give you a call in the next couple days about this. Really I'd love to find someone stateside that had the parts available to drop in the mail for a price similar to partsouq with shipping x1.5 or so. Toyota dealer wants double to quadruple the price for everything and it's all back ordered from overseas already.

I'll give you a call in the next couple days about this. Really I'd love to find someone stateside that had the parts available to drop in the mail for a price similar to partsouq with shipping x1.5 or so. Toyota dealer wants double to quadruple the price for everything and it's all back ordered from overseas already.
It’s IMPOSSIBLE for anybody in the US to compete with PartsOUQ. They sell most parts for less than US dealer cost ……. on the other hand, they’re on a different continent and offer ZERO TECH SUPPORT.
We, just like other cruiser specific businesses, are stateside and support the cruiser community. We have the parts you need in stock and can offer top notch tech support. The kits we sell include OEM Koyo bearings and NOK seals. We’ve sold hundreds of these and we rebuilt at least 3 transfer cases a week; using these exact kits.
Here’s a link to a video we put together a few years ago to help with the job at hand.
Hope that helps.

Pic of a case I built yesterday. Doing another one tomorrow …

498C56B2-EBDF-407E-98D1-37D93095A895.jpeg

It’s IMPOSSIBLE for anybody in the US to compete with PartsOUQ. They sell most parts for less than US dealer cost ……. on the other hand, they’re on a different continent and offer ZERO TECH SUPPORT.
We, just like other cruiser specific businesses, are stateside and support the cruiser community. We have the parts you need in stock and can offer top notch tech support. The kits we sell include OEM Koyo bearings and NOK seals. We’ve sold hundreds of these and we rebuilt at least 3 transfer cases a week; using these exact kits.
Here’s a link to a video we put together a few years ago to help with the job at hand.
Hope that helps.

Pic of a case I built yesterday. Doing another one tomorrow …

View attachment 2884789

I appreciate it man. I'm not a business owner or a parts house owner. I don't really know what it takes to get by or make a fair profit. Double the quadruple price for parts they still had to order with no time advantage seem like a no deal when I called the Toyota dealer...... I hate to say it and sometimes the dealers are inconsistent as well. One dealer I dealt with in a expensive area often quoted double the price for parts compared to other dealers just 30 miles away in a smaller town.

I used @orangefj45 at Valley Hybrids for my t-case rebuild kit. Good price, great support and always shares knowledge here.
Thanks for the support and the order, we appreciate it. Glad to hear you’re happy with the parts & service provided by us.

I used @orangefj45 at Valley Hybrids for my t-case rebuild kit. Good price, great support and always shares knowledge here.

Adding to what FJBen shared;

When Georg overhauled the transmission and transfercase in my BJ70, he re-geared the transfercase to increase my 4-lo crawl ratio while providing modest overdrive in 2wd. The improvement on the trails is exceptional for the 3B to truly shine, while the overdrive enables cruising on the highway a few MPH faster while remaining in the 2200-2400 RPM band. May not sound like much, but it makes a tremendous difference on long trips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom