Bj73 bullbar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey. I'm looking for a steel bullbar to fit on my bj73. Currently have a crappy looking aluminium one.
I know the 75 series are the same up to around 1996. If I were to get one post 1996 would I only have to modify the brackets?
What are your thoughts on tube bars vs traditional bullbars?
I will end up running a winch but if I can find a cheap enough bar without winch I can always make a cradle and bolt straight onto chassis, is that a better option either way rather than onto bullbar?
Thanks
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1406372307.454771.jpg

Also...... Apparently landcruisers don't break down! There's none at all the wreckers in my area. S.E suburbs melbourne.
I haven't been looking long, about a month, but there's not much on eBay or gumtree either.
Do you guys know where else I can look?

They just dont come up all that often. You can use a bullbar from later than 96,maybe up to 06?
Keep looking,one will pop up sooner or later.
I had a look on local gumtree ,nothing here either unless you want another one the same LOL

Haha I know. There were a couple on eBay but way too pricey for what they were.

What are your thoughts on alloy vs steel bullbar? I won't be putting winch on alloy bar, I'll make a cradle. Are they just too inferior offroad?

Bullbars are really for onroad collisions. I think the alloy bars will give you a fair amount of protection ,but you will need a new bar afterwards.
I would leave it on there for time being,its paid for, and you may never need it.
A winch would make your saggy old suspension even worse
Put your money into the suspension ,it's what every thing else it sitting on
You cant skimp on this or you will regret it every time you hit a bad bump. It really is the ride quality that defines an on/offroad vehicle.

Sit down and plan your build in the order you want to do it in with a price tag next to each item.
You can be surprised how much money you can save by waiting and watching.
All sorts of goodies come along in the classifieds if you a patient and have a handfull of cash in easy reach.
I got a brand new heavy duty steel bull bar for my 73 series for $400 .

I had a crappy old alloy bar identical to yours for 2-3 years,I think the dealers fitted them as an extra.
But it saved my landcruiser from damage on at least 2 occasions

I have a ARB deluxe bar that suits HDJ79 up to 2006 on my BJ74, fits up perfect no mods, was $500 used.

Alloy VS Steel Depends what you do really, I do alot of offroad driving and its is very "physical", hits many rocks, ledges, trees etc pushing things out of the way and the ARB has held up very well. Previously I had a alloy bar which I snapped and a TJM bar which I bent the wings badly.

Well I have decided to modify the current bullbar and see how it goes, I will still keep my eye out for an arb bullbar.

I will post some pictures of the modifications over the next week or so.

The previous owner has had a play with it and cross threaded one of the bolt holes and welded a bit of steel with tapped holes on one of the sides. Looks like it's had a minor accident on one corner. I will have to make it all good as I don't like it as it is.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1406551950.111049.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1406551967.792872.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1407663144.925141.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1407663186.608350.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1407663217.357732.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1407663242.241171.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1407663267.457897.jpg

So I spent a bit of time playing around with the bullbar. This will be good enough for now. Later down the track I will get a steel one

I have a ARB deluxe bar that suits HDJ79 up to 2006 on my BJ74, fits up perfect no mods, was $500 used.

Alloy VS Steel Depends what you do really, I do alot of offroad driving and its is very "physical", hits many rocks, ledges, trees etc pushing things out of the way and the ARB has held up very well. Previously I had a alloy bar which I snapped and a TJM bar which I bent the wings badly.
Do you have pics by chance

You can look at the full range of ARB bullbars on their home site

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom