BJ71 v's KZJ71 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, i'm looking for opinions on the BJ71 and the KZJ71. I realise there are probably more BJ owners here but thats ok...

So what are the good and bad points about each vehicle? Is the KZJ a better onroad car and the BJ a better offroad performer?

How do the BJ's ride on-road? Are they comfortable? How do they travel at speed (110km/h) are they happy to cruise along all day at 110?

The KZJ has a less reliable engine from what i read?

I assume the BJ's are more easily modified than the KZJ (i'm in Aus), I understand that a lot of 75 series parts fit the 71?

What sort of suspension work can be done to the BJ to make it a serious offroader? Are they easily modified to flex well without dramatically sacrificing onroad handling?

I'm just trying to get some discussion started regarding these 2 vehicles. I'm looking to upgrade my LJ70 and love the short 70's. I'm after something with a bit more power and cruising ability than the 2.4 without using too much fuel. I know the BJ is a tougher vehicle but my LJ has served me well so the KZJ is also an option.

The more opinions the better:clap:

Cheers

I live in the UK and have a KZJ70 (aka Land Cruiser II)
There things I have worked out so far are the BJ or FJ is a heavy duty and LJ is a light duty, the fundamentals difference being:
BJ70 or Heavy Duty:
The engine is a 3b or maybe 2b?
Leaf Springs
9.5 inch axles, not sure on this one, please someone confirm?

LJ70 or KZJ70 or light duty:
Engine is 2.4l,2.4lt,2l4lte and the 3.0 1KZT for KZ models.
Coil springs
8" inch axles.

Some people swear blind by the 2lt and a lot people would not touch them with a barge pole due to a lot them seeming to crack heads.
The 1KZT3.0 diesel (4 cylinder)is essentially 1HZ (cannot remember the exact model, beleive its adapted from a boat engine 1HZ?) with the extra cylinder's chopped off.
I would love to have a complete breakdown of the differences between the HJ and LJ trucks anyone?

Martin.

Last edited:
the PZ is a HZ with a cylinder chopped off and a damn good engine.

the KZ is a time bomb similar to the LJ.
the rest of the LJ/KZ 70 series trucks are very nice, the ride is great, articulation can be great, ground clearence stock is better than the HD due to smaller diffs. you can fit 33s under a stock LD 70 vehicle with no lift needed (or even 34" skinnies, been done with good results)

the BJ is a dated engine and parts are already getting hard to source which will only get worse over time BUT theya re easily a 500,000 km drivetrain. the BJ will return better fuel milage than the LJ or the KZ.

if yo have been happy with the LJ70 then a KZJ70 will do you fine but install a proper set of guages (pyro, boost water temp)

you wanted opinions and this is just that...see sig line

Hi all, i'm looking for opinions on the BJ71 and the KZJ71. I realise there are probably more BJ owners here but thats ok...

So what are the good and bad points about each vehicle? Is the KZJ a better onroad car and the BJ a better offroad performer?

How do the BJ's ride on-road? Are they comfortable? How do they travel at speed (110km/h) are they happy to cruise along all day at 110?

I assume the BJ's are more easily modified than the KZJ (i'm in Aus), I understand that a lot of 75 series parts fit the 71?

What sort of suspension work can be done to the BJ to make it a serious offroader? Are they easily modified to flex well without dramatically sacrificing onroad handling?

I'm just trying to get some discussion started regarding these 2 vehicles. I'm looking to upgrade my LJ70 and love the short 70's. I'm after something with a bit more power and cruising ability than the 2.4 without using too much fuel. I know the BJ is a tougher vehicle but my LJ has served me well so the KZJ is also an option.

Cheers

I dont know too much about the earlier 1KZ engines but the Prado diesels have had these since 96 in oz and they show no signs of being any worse than the other 4cyl turbo diesels with alloy heads.
Some do blow heads and gaskets but not until they have done 200000 + klms
Try finding a used diesel for sale,owners dont seem to want to sell .
However KZJ70 are rare here.

You do understand a BJ71 has a 13BT turbo engine as opposed to the BJ70 with a 3B?
You probably would be happier with a 73 or 74 series. The FRP top doesnt rust and the extra 10 inches of length between axles makes the vehicle much easier to live with.
Parts for the B engines are still available but becoming thinner. There is a lot of chinese parts around ,maybe the quality will improve with time

IMO you would be better off in a HZJ75 in the long run if you can afford the 13/100 fuel consumption.
And yes many 70 parts are interchangable with 75 (and 60 )series

Cheers

Well seem be like u're confused.

Let me telling you.. Just know whether which version u're interested and suitable for you to use in your daily life. To upgrade.. B or 1kz engine?? Well if you want to get a nice onroad and off road performance. Kzj71 is the best. Why did I say this because it's is very modified too. If u're highly require of on road performance.. you can change the axle ratio from ori 4.88 to 4.1....( sry for this dot I'm forget).

Second things is don't worry about the comfortable issue problem on onroad.. their a lot of brand of good quality suspension to improve your running performance. Etc (amada absorber, touch dog, koni and so on)

About the engine.. if your engine is running with electritical.. you must notice with the ECU and fuel injection. Remember both of this is the most important even how pretty with your cruisy^ Last things is you must change lubricant on time and the oil come with fully synthethic turbo diesel oil. (Etc Sumo sythethic oil 15w 40)

Wish this can help you to solving your problem. Gud luck ya :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom