BJ71-24V Fuel Tank sender - part number? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been having trouble with my fuel gage in the past year. Dash gage registers 0 when the tank is filled, but about half way through the tank of gas, the dash gage starts to work properly. It appears to be the tank sender and not the dash unit, but I'm not certain. It might also be a mechanical issue with the sender getting stuck as I have had it in and out a few times trying to fix it. Resistance check seems to indicate the sender is working when it is outside the tank. Any suggestions for solving the problem?

Does anyone know the part number for the gas tank sending unit for 1987 BJ71 - 24V. Is it different form 12V sender?

I ordered this for my BJ74.

83320-69025

It is my understanding that the 12/24V Fuel SENDERS are the same unit, and that the gauges are different for 12/24v.

Does the sender operate smoothly and no stickiness? My new one is very easy and smooth.

Last edited:
Where did you order this unit?

Pretty much any online parts place can order this. amayama.com partsouq.com OR one of the highly knowledgeable folks/vendors on here can give you expert advice and order it for you to make sure you have the right one.

@cruiseroutfit Cruiseroutfitters
@beno Land Cruiser parts and consulting
@wardharris Cruiser Brothers

Part# ELECF69025 @ Cruiser Outfitters. We generally have in stock but I don't see one on the shelf. I'd have to check tomorrow to see when we will see our next incoming Japan order but I expect no more than 1-2 weeks unless there is a supply issue in Japan.

Or you can go to your local dealer and snatch up the last one in the US!

:lol:

Before I buy, I am still awaiting someone to give me more insight into testing the sending unit to make sure that is the problem. ANYONE?

Have you removed the sending unit? What resistance are you getting at empty? What are you getting at full?

according to manual, these are the values you should see when testing the sender float position. Meaure between terminals 1 and 2.

Full: 3 ohms
1/2: 32.5 ohms
Empty: 110 ohms

Thanks. Yes, I have removed it several times and both looks fine and tests fine when OUT of the tank. I'll check it next week with it still inside the tank.

Have you tested the dash gauge?

UPDATE: Unplugged the tank sender and attached VOM. Then unscrewed the unit and jiggled it around until it read correctly. Screwed it back in place. All seems to be working -- at full, and at 3/4 tank. Time will tell if it continues to read correctly as I empty the tank in the coming weeks.

At HALF a tank as shown on the dash gage (and confirmed by kilometers travelled), the sender reads 18 ohms.
This is nowhere close to 32 ohms.

I have the factory chassis and body manual for the HZJ, PZJ and 1HD-T; guess I should check what the sending unit ohm readings are for my 1993 PZJ75 truck.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

I'd imagine full and empty are pretty close to correct on the gauges, but there is probably a lot of gray area in the 1/2 full range. Usually factory gauges are a bit vague...especially the temp gauges.

I would try and test with completely full, and if you are brave completely empty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom