For Sale BJ70 Shorty LHD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After much deliberation, consultation and likely ignoring some good advise from that consultation I've decided to part with my 70. A work related transfer to a remote location has necessitated a change in the fleet. I've decided to keep the FZJ80 as the toy and part with the 70 in order to purchase a more fuel efficient vehicle for the minister of finance (wife). It seems the 70 is too primitive, high and full of testosterone for the misses despite the reasonable fuel milage it gets. Here it goes with the description of the truck.

It's a Canadian titled and B.C. registared 1985 BJ70 with a 3B.

The Body, 99% rust free, original paint, no bondo. I know, 99% rust free Canadian truck? Does it come with a load of Canadian coconuts too? How I can claim this is the tub and majority of the body panels are off a JDM import I converted to LHD. So you are still right there is no such thing as a 99% rust free Canadian truck, except this one. It's not a show truck as there are a few poorly touched up rock chips with evidence of surface rust where the paint was chipped and some small dings and scratches. The paint on the tops of the doors is worn thin from 25 odd years of an arm hanging out the window. It is, however, as solid a 70 as you will find with no surprises from shady body work. The glass is all good with no chips. I want to be completely transparent and represent this truck as accurately as possible. Should some one decide to travel great distances to see it I wont be added to anyones hit list. I've been there, driven hours to buy a "cherry" 340 Dodge Demon only to find a pizza box jammed in the inner quarter panel as backing board for a pound of bondo.

The Frame, 100% solid rust free inside and out.

The Engine A great running 3B diesel, new glow plugs, new motor mounts, new exhaust and passes air care every time with flying colors. The engine was in the Canadian BJ70 project truck. The odometer reads 370,000Km 229,000 Miles, I have no idea if it's been rebuilt or not, I can say it's an extremely reliable engine. The 3B's go on for ever and are easily turbocharger if one is so inclined. I'd drive to to Mexico tomorrow.

The Power train H55 five speed, again from the Canadian BJ70 works flawlessly, no jumping out of fifth gear. Toyota Split case transfer which also works flawlessly. Both differentials are heavy duty 9.5" diffs with the full floater, LSD rear. The gears are 4.11:1's. The front diff has Aisin free wheeling hubs.

The electrics 1985 was the only year the Canadian trucks came as 12 Volt and this one is just that, 100% 12 volt! No splicing, hacking or cutting the complete plug and play 12 Volt harness was used. No hunting for hard to find 24 volt parts and bulbs. It has new dual 1050 CCA batteries, one of which runs the winch.

The modifications, It comes with an ARB bumper and Warn 8274 winch. 33"x 10 1/2" BFG M/T KM's with 90% tread left on them. All riding atop of a 3" Keep Slant Lift from Japan, which I like way better than the Belton kit I had. The interior comes with a JVC KD-AR300 CD deck, Kenwood amp, 4" 80 Watt Alpine speaker in the dash, 6" 80 Watt Alpine speaker in the doors and room for four more speakers on the amp if you like it loud. The roof rack, high lift jack and four hockey pucks (Canadian eh!) holding it up come with. The centre console is the factory unit with the rear heater built in.

The bad The high beam switch needs repairing, it works if you pull it back but won't stay on in the forward position. The oil pressure gauge is hooped, I put the contacts on wrong when I was re assembling it and pegged the gauge. You are more than welcome to take it in and have the oil pressure tested along with the compression I have complete faith in the motor. The window tracks for the rear sliding windows are like every pre 1989 set, starting to rust. These are replaceable with the stainless steel post 1989 part.

throw ins I'll throw in a set of OEM suspension seat bases and a bunch of spare parts "brake master and booster, heater cores, a complete extra set of tail and marker lights along with a bunch of other stuff" I'll also toss in the front extra long axle shaft for an E-locker.

Where and how much The truck is in Abbotsford B.C. Canada, until the first week of July anyway then you will need a dog sled to come get it (complete exaggeration) but I am moving soon. I've consulted a few reputable, knowledgeable people and have priced is thousands less than their recommendations as I have precious little time to sell this and buy a wife-mobile before the move. I'm asking $15,000 for it or nearest offer. I think its fair, where else are you going to find a LHD, 12 Volt Canadian 70 in this shape.

Trades I'm addressing this as the last gem I sold, I was offered everything from Harley's to hearse's. The ONLY trade I'd consider is a Subaru wagon out back of equal value .... yes thats what the wife want's Happy wife = Happy life.
IMG_8687.jpg
IMG_8688.jpg
IMG_8690.jpg

Last edited:
More Pic's

More to Come
IMG_8691.jpg
IMG_8692.jpg

IMG_8693.jpg

And More

The keep coming
IMG_8694.jpg
IMG_8695.jpg
IMG_8696.jpg

A few more

The under belly, I'll take a few more of the rust free wheel wells. You can see the rust proofing from inside the panels creeping out of the seems. I sprayed the hell out of it.
IMG_8700.jpg
IMG_8702.jpg
IMG_8699.jpg

Last edited:
The wheel wells

Here the are
IMG_8704.jpg
IMG_8705.jpg

Thanks Wayne,

I thought so. A good truck and a ton of fun for the Money.

Really nice and clean. It's hard to find them in this condition. Good luck with the sale!

What are the 4 bolts under each B pillar?

Cheers,
Dennis

I suspect some sort of crazy light bar was wrapped over the roof when the tub was in the land of the rising sun.

Last edited:
How would this work n Tucson as a daily driver? My '89 FJ62 was totaled this AM and I'm looking to replace it. I dont mind going to the manual from the auto as the commute to work isnt bad. Some use as a grocery getter so rear interior pics would be great.

Mileage?
Street manners?
Import issues/hassle?
A/C working good? Tucson broke 100 today.

Thanks
Don

Fantastic looking rig - good luck with the sale

Mileage?
Street manners?
Import issues/hassle?

Thanks
Don

A stock unit gets around 19MPG in city driving, though this one might be a touch less with the lift, etc. They're even slower than a 62, if that matters. No AC, so maybe not the rig for you.

How would this work n Tucson as a daily driver? My '89 FJ62 was totaled this AM and I'm looking to replace it. I dont mind going to the manual from the auto as the commute to work isnt bad. Some use as a grocery getter so rear interior pics would be great.

Mileage?
Street manners?
Import issues/hassle?

Thanks
Don

I get about 550 Km out of a tank. The street manners are fine and it will hum along at 65 - 70 Mph in fifth gear at about 2300 Rpm. The Canadian A/C (roll down windows work great). None of the Canadian 70's came with A/C but lots of the JDM ones did. G&S cruisers would be the guys to talk to about A/C components. I believe if it's 25 years old it's importable into the USA. Much different rules from South to North

Sorry to hear about your truck and thanks for the interest.

Last edited:
oops

Almost forgot the boiler room. Totally stock BJ70 engine compartment save for my fabricated oversized battery trays and a four core rad. The ford starter relay on the LH battery is a relay "Wilson switch" which I recently learned was invented by Kerin Wilson (a toyota mechanic) and coined by Greg B. Now you know!
IMG_8706.jpg

Last edited:
What a sweet rig, if I win the lotto soon...... :) How far north are you moving, if you don't mind me asking? GLWS, this will probably not last long....

extremely nice unit. You put some blood sweat and tears into this rig.
Very very fair price.

add a turbo and the 3B becomes a nice highway engine but with the gearing you will want to keep it to a 70 mph max.
AC can be sourced from Mike at westcoast cruisers or Dave at Japan 4X4. Factory AC is not cheap but works quite well.

there are many individuals that use a 3B as a DD.

What a sweet rig, if I win the lotto soon...... :) How far north are you moving, if you don't mind me asking? GLWS, this will probably not last long....

Not too far North but as far east as you can go in B.C. Kootenays, here I come. I'll still be within three hours of a major centre but the market is much bigger here. The issue being the wife's family will be a three hour drive away and we will likely be making the trip on a regular basis, the 80 will kill my wallet with the millage. Montana and southern Alberta just don't have the population or market of the Wet Coast. They do have a healthy population of Gerrard Rainbow Trout (largest species in the world) and Bull trout. I can't wait to get the switch out! My kids may get sick of wild game, Trout and kokanee but I won't ;)
images.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh man...a clean LHD 70 series in Canada. Wow. Waxoiled as well. Part of me wants to see this bought and stored away somewhere, or run in the south, where the lords of rust do not play. The other part says I hope someone local gets it and uses it daily. Either way...great rig, great price.

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom