BJ70 running under a BJ40? Any ideas?? (1 Viewer)

Wondering what the logistics of using a rusty bodied 1985 BJ70 running gear under a 1982 BJ40 to update the running gear? I was thinking of just swapping the 3B and H55F into my 1982 BJ40 with the 3B and 4 speed, but got to thinking if anybody has just swapped the bodies over before? I could imagine different body mounts being fabbed up and such. Any opinions?
Thanks

Wondering what the logistics of using a rusty bodied 1985 BJ70 running gear under a 1982 BJ40 to update the running gear? I was thinking of just swapping the 3B and H55F into my 1982 BJ40 with the 3B and 4 speed, but got to thinking if anybody has just swapped the bodies over before? I could imagine different body mounts being fabbed up and such. Any opinions?
Thanks
I believe it has been done before,but I cant recall whether they put a 70 on a 40 frame or the other way around.
I think the 70 will be a a bit longer than a 40,so there will be some axle shifting also

rchalmers3

I speak Toyota
Playas de Nosara, Nicoya Peninsula, Costa Rica

Thanks
Interesting project! Do you have access to both models for measuring them up?

With a careful selection of the rims and tires, you may be able to avoid small differences in wheel base, thus avoiding a axle relocation as Rosco suggests.

If the body of the '70 is rusty, be sure to give a good look at the chassis, seems they can rust out as well.

Why doncha take some measurements and post them up for us?

Rick

if it was a coil spring 70, I'd say go for it, but as it isn't, you really arent gaining a whole lot, or saving any effort...plus the frame on the 70 is probably crappy. most are.

axles are a bit wider, but probably have 3.7's in them, which leads to a bunch of work again to swap in your 4.1's. ( assuming you'd want to.)

be easier just to swap the 5 speed into your 42 ... maybe ad the ps setup.

but don't let me stop ya. round pegs and square holes is where it's at....:grinpimp:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom