BJ70 Front Brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I'm in need of some new front brakes for my BJ70. I was wondering what kind of roters and pads I should buy, I also need some new flex lines. Is buying toyota Factory stuff worth it? I have seen alot of white box roters and they look like cast s*** to me, I dunno if it matters though. The roters on it might clean up but won't be sure untill I get them off, I would like to get all the parts before I do it, as the Cruiser is my daily driver.

cheers
Eric

If the rotors still have meat get them turned I guess that'd be kinda hard if you have no way to take them to the local auto parts store. I usually just buy generic pads. Last time I didn't bother with replacing the flex lines but I did replace the hard line into the caliper which is nice to have if your old ones are rusty.

The hard line I can just buy generic stuff and a bender and do it all my self, no big deal. My one flex hose has a big cut in it, it doesn't leak but bothers me. As for getting the rotors turned I might be able too get a ride from a friend into town, but by the look of them they will need replacing, I think the thing has stock front brakes with 260000 km on her. The previous owner never replaced them and he owned the truck most of its life since 75,000. He just got the back brakes done at toyota. Who knows I will see more when I get them off.

Anyone have any more ideas for roters I would kinda just like another set.

Anyone have any more ideas for roters I would kinda just like another set.

If you plan on running larger tires and want to avoid the warp that comes with it I would suggest drilled rotors for extra cooling. I wish I had changed over to them when i did my rotors. I bought OEM and its warped already soo....... Who knows could have been a bad day at the factory. Toyota told me it was probably from a stickey caliper but it wasn't. Loser service manager.

I believe the front calipers and rotors for your 70 are the very same as those found on a 60/62. You can use stock stuff readily obtained or you can do what I did. I bought the TLC monster calipers and a stainless steel flex line which eliminated the rubber line. The monster caliper is awesome and offers much more stopping power than the OEM units and FAR more than the mini-truck calipers.

As far as rotors go, I have purchased them from multiple sources and even have a set of cad-plated, cross-drilled Brembo rotors just waiting for the next change. There is not a thing wrong with OEM pads; however, you can find less expensive pads out there that work great too. Turning your rotors might actually be the best option, as stated by one other person earlier.

I got the rotors from ebay purchase and they weren't that spendy. I don't recall exactly the total cost. As far as the calipers go, you can get a pair from TLC for less than the cost of ONE OEM caliper. I've got them on my BJ-42 and BJ-73.

Alrighty, I dunno what kinda shape my calipers will even be in, front brakes seem to work good but who knows, being 20 years old I should prolly just get new ones from TLC thanks guys.

cheers
Eric

Could someone post the address for TLC?

I'd avoid the cheap Chinese made rotors. They warp easily.

I like OEM or DBA rotors. Raybestos is another brand I used and recommend. Like dieseldog said, the rotor is the same as 60/62 series, and 1981-1983 40 series.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom