BJ70 and BJ73 Parking Brake Cable Dimensions needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SipLife

Cruiser Pickin’
SILVER Star
Threads
Looking for info on parking brake dimensions of a BJ73 and BJ70. Particularly from clevis to clevis and equalizer to PB Handle. Have a 70 series rear axle in my Fj40 and am trying to figure out which cable I need to mount a floor mounted PB.

Thanks,
Liam

Hi
What's the plan? Fab those yourself?
The dimensions of the cables are probably your least problem, but the whole assembly, in particular the equilizer and connectors at the ends may be.
Here is the parts diagram of my 1985 BJ73:

As you can see, the cable is actually one assembly, comprising
- the cable from the lever to what you call the equilizer,
- the equalizer itself,
- cables from equilizer to LH/RH brake bell cranks,
- stabilizer and protective tubing
- at least one mounting bracket incorporated to the tube
- connectors (clevis) to the bell crank and a threaded end to the lever.

I would go with that OEM piece (there is a variation between full float and semi float axle).
Imho, your best chance is to get a 70s cable (the shortest), use the axle end standard and adjust the lever end, possibly by moving the lever position in your FJ40, or by shorting the cable and put a new threaded end.
This makes sure the dimension along the axle fits and the equilizer really works as well as the clevis to the bell cranks. You also don't have to create any guiding for a bare cable (roles or whatever), as it comes in a guiding and protecting tube with the OEM part.
I assume these dimensions on the axle are delicate to measure and match and recreate. There is a lot of play but not much room for adjusters there. So the OEM part will guarantee an easy and perfect fit.
The length from axle to lever must vary per frame length (73 vs 70, different parts), I guess. With your FJ40, this dimension will be off in any case. I guess your FJ is shorter even than a 70. Others may know. But that leaves room for adjustment.
Cheers Ralf

Hi
What's the plan? Fab those yourself?
The dimensions of the cables are probably your least problem, but the whole assembly, in particular the equilizer and connectors at the ends may be.
Here is the parts diagram of my 1985 BJ73:

As you can see, the cable is actually one assembly, comprising
- the cable from the lever to what you call the equilizer,
- the equalizer itself,
- cables from equilizer to LH/RH brake bell cranks,
- stabilizer and protective tubing
- at least one mounting bracket incorporated to the tube
- connectors (clevis) to the bell crank and a threaded end to the lever.

I would go with that OEM piece (there is a variation between full float and semi float axle).
Imho, your best chance is to get a 70s cable (the shortest), use the axle end standard and adjust the lever end, possibly by moving the lever position in your FJ40, or by shorting the cable and put a new threaded end.
This makes sure the dimension along the axle fits and the equilizer really works as well as the clevis to the bell cranks. You also don't have to create any guiding for a bare cable (roles or whatever), as it comes in a guiding and protecting tube with the OEM part.
I assume these dimensions on the axle are delicate to measure and match and recreate. There is a lot of play but not much room for adjusters there. So the OEM part will guarantee an easy and perfect fit.
The length from axle to lever must vary per frame length (73 vs 70, different parts), I guess. With your FJ40, this dimension will be off in any case. I guess your FJ is shorter even than a 70. Others may know. But that leaves room for adjustment.
Cheers Ralf

The plan is to go OEM as of now. Ended up stumbling on another thread that had some of the info I needed. Said the BJ73 is about 11” shorter than the 80 series cable from equalizer to end of cable and the BJ70 is about 20” shorter. That would put the BJ73 at about 66” from equalizer to end of cable and 57” for the BJ70. The cable I currently have appears to be from a troopy and is 77” from equalizer to end of cable and I’d ideally need to land about 20” shorter than that on the 40 series. Going to give the BJ70 cable a go with a 70 series handbrake. Can always get it adjusted by a custom cable company as you suggested if the dimensions are slightly off.

The plan is to go OEM as of now. Ended up stumbling on another thread that had some of the info I needed. Said the BJ73 is about 11” shorter than the 80 series cable from equalizer to end of cable and the BJ70 is about 20” shorter. That would put the BJ73 at about 66” from equalizer to end of cable and 57” for the BJ70. The cable I currently have appears to be from a troopy and is 77” from equalizer to end of cable and I’d ideally need to land about 20” shorter than that on the 40 series. Going to give the BJ70 cable a go with a 70 series handbrake. Can always get it adjusted by a custom cable company as you suggested if the dimensions are slightly off.
Yup, sounds good.
I can't sufficiently measure the length equilizer to end (lever) on my BJ73 as it goes over the trany and bends. But 70 appears to be more in your needed range anyway. Hope it works for you. Good luck!
Cheers Ralf

You can probably use one out of a late 40 with the same rear brake setup/

Yup, sounds good.
I can't sufficiently measure the length equilizer to end (lever) on my BJ73 as it goes over the trany and bends. But 70 appears to be more in your needed range anyway. Hope it works for you. Good luck!
Cheers Ralf
You can probably use one out of a late 40 with the same rear brake setup/

Got it sorted out. SWB BJ70 cable is the perfect length.

965126B9-ECA2-46AE-8DC3-19DB7D64AD0C.jpeg
13536BA7-7954-4975-B424-53A9DE833060.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom