Bj70 alternator upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a bj70 with a 3b which has the original alternator i run a front led light and 4 100watt spot lights on the roof rack and the alternator cant seem to keep up even with the dual battery setup if draws faster than the alternator can replenish.

I have seen a few aftmarket alrernators for the 3b but are rated only at 60amps not much better.

I have heard people using npr alternator but not sure on specifics like model year and engine it came from and how much cutting it needs to fit.

What other options do i have do 60 series 2h alternators fit to a 3b?

Thanks

24 volt or 12 volt?

Ive found an identical one to that but its 110amps 3 belt pulley aswell

I think il bite the bullet and just buy it and hope i can modify it to fit.

From alot of searching it seems the the npr alternator distance between the mounting pivot flanges are 80mm and the cruiser ones are 106mm so abit of machining to the alternator bracket will be required.

Many companies like Hitachi and Denso set up plants in China and other parts of SE Asia years ago. So far I have had good luck with a starter, an alternator and aircon compressor.

Hi got a reply back from china saying its around 230$ usd shipped to australia close to 300 $aud

Not sure if its worth it considering i dont no if it will even be able to be adapted..

Opinions

You should have said where you are. Australia is easy, contact OEX, they are a division of Repco. They keep a large inventory and can match up alternators to bolt straight in. They used to have all the measurements on line but they took it down so you will have to contact them. They should know the measurements for your alternator without looking.
Their alternators are good quality and obviously you have a nationwide warranty.

Yer i had a look on the oex catalouge and found the partnumber for the npr alternator but it was only 24volts no 12volts which retailed at 1200$ so i might go ahead with this chinese one after all.

I have asked the chinese to try get me a few measurements before i buy hope it all goes well

Have you thought about moving to LED for your lamps and thereby lowering the demand on your alternator?

Thought i would update this thread. Its been a month since i placed my order on aliexpres and finaly got the isuzu 120amp alternator today.

First impressions just looking at it seems to be of decent quality nice casting and quite heavy.

Will be making the new brakets to get it to fit over the next week and see how well it works.

20180409_130825.jpg

20180409_130833.jpg

20180409_130854.jpg

743064536-1581736399.jpg

Just looking at the connectors does anyone no how to wire this up?

From research i found out that

D+ or L is for the warning lamp

B+ will be a heavy wire to the battery with fusible link (should i run a new heavy wire or reuse the white cable in the loom)?

IG not sure what this terminal is yet? i thought ignition but why would it need a ignition power input

Could it be the sense wire that goes to the battery?

W i dont think is applicable im thinking its a rpm tacho output?

And the last pin with no letter i was told not to use.

So if anyone knows what the IG and W pins are please let me no.

The IG pin is for power from the ignition switch to charge the field coil. Automotive alternators don't have a permanent magnet, instead they have an electromagnet coil (the field coil) which has to receive power from the battery to produce a magnetic field and generate electricity.

Not sure on the W pin, it looks like it is also called P in some cases and is for the stator? My guess is that you don't need to worry about it.

Ok that makes sense.

So if IG is for field coil

And D+ is the alt light

How does it sense battery voltage?

Possible to resurrect this?

I have a similar issue with maintaining a charge with all electronics running (oem fog lights, head lights, blinkers, radio, ac). Testing at the battery shows a normal charge at ~14.7v, with everything on it's teetering between 12.9 and 13v. I also have the dim headlight flicker at all times.

What I have not seen posted anywhere are examples of the later 3B alternator type, for 70 series, without the vacuum pump located on the back and with internal regulator. The original alternator is no longer in the truck but I suspect it was one of these 27060-58070, 27060-58080. There is an external vacuum pump located on the firewall, which appears to be this unit 29300-58050. The replacement alternator by PO is manufactured by World Power Systems (WAI), a company that does not manufacture alternators for any Toyota vehicles or motors and the model number is mostly worn off. I queried their catalog with the string of numbers that's still visible and surfaced one model, it's a 12v 30amp unit manufactured for a Volvo diesel truck of some kind. Strange that it's mounted perfectly without any modifications except that the pulley looks to have been swapped with the original. I believe this 30 amp unit is clearly the source of my electrical issues.

It seems that without the vacuum pump constraint an upgrade should be easier to find. What details should I consider, can I get just about anything with similar mounting dims and connections? Does diesel v petrol matter? I'm also only really looking for 60 - 80amps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom