BJ70 3B leaky injector pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just noticed a nice diesel slick down the driveway and on closer inspection it seems my diesel injection pump is leaking.
Hard to tell where its coming from but appears around from the bottom of the pump and may be seeping around the bracket that holds the hose on.
It is completely dry around all the hose connections up top and on the rear.

I tried to take a video but there is not alot of room there. Can see a drip at the end.

Not sure if this is something that can be repaired with it in the truck. How hard is it to pull the pump?

injector pump.jpg

I’m having the same issue I just noticed, with my 1989 BJ75 pickup. It has the same rotary pump. Mine is leaking from the top though. I’m hoping that is also why the engine falters a bit when accelerating, and blows blue smoke intermittently.

Mine is running fine and doesn't seem to blow smoke yet although it appears to be a decent leak with around a drip of diesel every few seconds.

Clean it all down and watch the fuel leak out. But most of the time, fixing a single leak will just make it find the next weakest gasket or seal.
Pumps usually need a complete kit run through them by the time they are 30 years old.

thanks, i suspected that would be the case. Do you know where i can get a seal kit for this pump? Also is there a service manual for the pump. The 3B workshop manual I have only shows the older injection pump and not the rotary unit I have?

Thanks for your help

You get the information off the pump, there will be Toyota and Denso part numbers. You can google for the kit or ask at diesel fuel injection shops. Ebay usually sells them. The factory service manual has a pump rebuild section.

You get the information off the pump, there will be Toyota and Denso part numbers. You can google for the kit or ask at diesel fuel injection shops. Ebay usually sells them. The factory service manual has a pump rebuild section.
I had to order parts separately from Toyota when i had mine done about 8 years ago. I did not know there was a kit. :doh:

But yeah. Rebuild time. I had a Mercedes guy do it.

I had to order parts separately from Toyota when i had mine done about 8 years ago. I did not know there was a kit. :doh:

But yeah. Rebuild time. I had a Mercedes guy do it.

I think you have to buy the kits off a reseller . They have put them together themselves, I dont think Toyota have a kit.
How did the Mercedes guy go? They are usually well trained and could probably do any pump rebuild if they had a manual. One has a show on Youtube and he really knows diesels and inj pumps.

I think you have to buy the kits off a reseller . They have put them together themselves, I dont think Toyota have a kit.
How did the Mercedes guy go? They are usually well trained and could probably do any pump rebuild if they had a manual. One has a show on Youtube and he really knows diesels and inj pumps.
He was slow. I printed the manual out for him and gave him a bag of seals and stuff. In the end it as not terribly expensive and still holding fine. Drove it half way across country twice since then.

I gave the pump a good clean and it appears the leak is coming from either of the two locations in the pic. Both inaccessible with the pump on the engine.
The rest of the pump looks really good almost like its been rebuilt before. It has paint marks on all the bolts.

How hard is it to remove the pump. Can i just unbolt all the lines and take off the two big big bolts holding it on and withdraw it?

Thanks

pump.png

Can i just unbolt all the lines and take off the two big big bolts holding it on and withdraw it?

You usually need a puller to get it off after its undone. The 1HZ are much the same and I spent days trying to get one off. Sometimes they come off easy.
The paint on the fittings could be from new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom