BJ60 to Tahoe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

I'm considering adding a BJ60 to the stable, but to justify it I need to convince the :princess: that we could take it to Tahoe, which isn't possible in the 40 with our new son. Anyone with a bj60 ever run I80 in one? Can it pull 50 mph? 40? 20?

Could I push it?

Cheers,
prat

Turbo it and it's not too bad. You WILL get passed and you will not be the first one of any group you're travelling with to get to Tahoe!

Possible, yes! I've been to Reno from Sacramento with the BJ60.

I'm not going to turbo it, at least initially. I've got no problem with getting passed since I use my 40 as a DD. So... 40s?

Cheers,
prat

I drove my n/a bj60 down I-75 and I-4 several times w/o incident.

Both are very flat.

I usually fall in line with a group of big rigs and cruise.

You can easily go 70mph with a good "front door".

Don't plan on going much faster or passing anyone and you will be fine.

I drove a BJ60 2400 miles from Oregon to Indiana. We didnt have any trouble doing 55-65 except for some of the worst hills at altitude.

Also drove two 3B powered cruisers fully loaded from Indiana to Oregon - 2400 miles the other way.

I'm not going to turbo it, at least initially. I've got no problem with getting passed since I use my 40 as a DD. So... 40s?

Cheers,
prat

The turbo makes the truck IMOP. I just started driving my turbo Bj60 since fixing it and found the turbo makes it very nice. It feels like it wants to accelerate now. Not fast but bearable.

I figure 1-1500 turbos it yourself. 3500 in a kit. Yah you make the whole thing for a couple hundred. But using a decent turbo and a 13b-t manifold makes a clean kit.

I drove my n/a bj60 down I-75 and I-4 several times w/o incident.

Both are very flat.

Huge difference between Florida where it is flat and the Sierra Nevadas where you're pulling hills. I can pull a trailer with mine in the San Joaquin Valley where it is flat and do fairly well at 55-60 but when I get into mountains with the same trailer I'll be down to 2nd gear.

I agree with the others, a turbo makes the truck come alive. It will seem pretty bad before you turbo it.

I've dug through the turbo threads and couldn't find how much the turbo drops the mpg. Anyone have a rough figure?

Cheers,
prat

I've dug through the turbo threads and couldn't find how much the turbo drops the mpg.

It doesn't!! If you drive a turbo'd truck the same way as you would if it did not have a turbo then theoretically your fuel mileage should increase! A turbo on a diesel is a no brainer and MUCH more effective than on a gasser.

Sac to Truckee up the I-80... I'd venture to say your looking at 3rd gear, 2nd if your loaded down. That would translate to 30-40 mph. Big rigs will be passing you. Even in my V8 powered FJ40, fully loaded, I'm in 3rd gear. I may have been able to lug 4th, but the engine temp increased significantly... I'm sure the SM420 didn't help.
GG

I just bought an 83 BJ60 and drove it down to California from Seattle. A couple of the passes in southern Oregon I needed 3rd gear. I would think it would be 3rd gear going over I80 too. Especialy up in the higher altitudes. Other than the hills it drives great!

All,

I'm considering adding a BJ60 to the stable, but to justify it I need to convince the :princess: that we could take it to Tahoe, which isn't possible in the 40 with our new son. Anyone with a bj60 ever run I80 in one? Can it pull 50 mph? 40? 20?

Could I push it?

Cheers,
prat

Dude, you gotta use whatever tactic gets you what you want. Sell the concept of a safe family wagon, the spacious seating area, the great visability, the economy, versatility, yadda yadda yadda....

Sell the positive. Tell her she will have a whole new perspective of the journey when you take the "slow" route!

Best wishes with your stable addition!

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom