bj60 power steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I think I have a good idea of how bad my power steering pump is.
I have replaced it twice in the last 30 000 kms. once with a rebuilt and once with a second hand one. still no boost.
built a hose with gauge assm. and tested it tonight. 100 to 150 psi at idle and only about 250 when revved up!

book says it is suppose to be 1000 psi. So I guess I will call ens toyota for a quote. hope it is much better than my local toyota crook. they told me around 850. I will keep people informed..

906 from ens toyota.

and the newer style is no longer available.. 70 series that is..

So I guess I am back to modifying something.

actually you can go with what ever pump you want .. if you have the space and made the braket .. the Toy pump should be around 1200 PSI and 2.8 GPM ..

I use a wrangler modified pump with good results that I founud new for a good price ( around 100 bucks ) and it make the 1400 PSI marka and much more important to me 3.8 GPM ..

PS pumps was not the best sucess in Toyota stuff ..

I was told by a friend that the saginaw pump does not fit too well under the hood as the reservoir sticks up to high. He had one attached to a bj60, had to make the tank smaller to close the hood properly.
put a, "want to buy" up tonight. Maybe someone will be willing to part with one.
if nothing works out I will have to go the way of the trail gear setup.
Has anyone installed the rock assault kit on a 3b diesel?

PSP

I'm on pins & needles--what did you end up with. Think I'm going to go with the Trail Gear pump. I've got to put an end to the power steering fluid all over my engine bay. I'm headed down to the states next week so I'll be able to bring it back. Any other pumps that work well?

What parts are worn out? If the metal housing is worn ,its toast,but if its just the vanes they look easy

Every thing is working great.
My 83 bj60 is looking great and working great. I have a bracket from a bj70 that allows me to use the power steering pumps from all the gassers. I have purchased two second hand pumps. The first one I tried works fine, bolted right up to my newer style bracket and WE HAVE BOOST.
I have a spare gas style pump and a complete spare for the old style that I am goin going to mount into my bj42 as a power steering kit.
This weekend I also mounted my old but very healthy spring out of my hj61 into the bj60. No it even looks like it has a lift kit into it. Of course 3 of the 4 original spring were broken.
I was told that the trail gear pump would not fit without modifying a bracket. and at the price with a reservoir and cooler, and a bunch of mods.
Well I am till allmost stock.
I only have about 3000 kms on the pump.

Someone mentioned on here before that there is a screen in the reservoir that can clog. He put a hole through his with a screwdriver and then it was fine. You might also try flushing it and refilling with new fluid before you go through all the trouble of working a different system in there.

I pried the top off the reserver with the intention of cleaning the screen( which is extra fine) and it came right out of its keeper--So I hope that solves the problem. There was a fine film over the screen.

When the Power steering system is flushed is it literally drained, say from the bottom of the system, or just remove the fluid from the canister and refill?

I flushed mine by putting the return line into an old jug, and with the engine running continually filling fresh oil into the system. after about a half gallon, I returned the line to the reservoir.

Simple enough

follow up

Just to follow up after 2 months and 6000km: removing the screen from the power steering pump has solved the problem of fluid spraying all over the engine bay. It was a bit difficult to remove and reseal the top of the pump but all in all no big deal.

actually you can go with what ever pump you want .. if you have the space and made the braket .. the Toy pump should be around 1200 PSI and 2.8 GPM ..

I use a wrangler modified pump with good results that I founud new for a good price ( around 100 bucks ) and it make the 1400 PSI marka and much more important to me 3.8 GPM ..

PS pumps was not the best sucess in Toyota stuff ..
Do you have an aftermarket pump and bracket to sell for a bj60?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom