1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BJ60 Overheating

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by randman59, Aug 10, 2005.

1. randman59

randman59

Ok, I was rushed and lazy. I had a mechanic replace the waterpump, rad hoses, thermostat, install a block heater and powerflush the 3b. Afterpicking it up, the engine gets really hot (almost to red zone), then the thermostat opens and the temp drops to just over 1/2 way mark. Pulled the thermostat and tested, it seems to be opening to high, so I went to Toyota purchased another and installed it. It does the same thing! Previously, it would run between 1/4 to 1/2 zone. Any ideas? (besides going back to the mechanic, had too many problems with them).

-It was running fine before the repairs. it would go from cold to middle and then run between 1/4 - 1/2 range.
    -It doesn't overheat, just goes from cold to very hot (almost red section) then back to just over half way.

1985 BJ60
    3.4l 3B Diesel
    Naturally Asperated
    H55

2. Deny

Deny

I had similar issues with my truck when I first got it, except it was more fluctuating, and it would really freak me out. It ended up being a bad connection at the temperature sensor by the water pump, I cut off the old conector, and saudered in a simple conector, and its worked great ever since.
    Just a thought.
    Cheers,
    Deny

3. randman59

randman59

I think that is a different issue. The Temp and Fuel gauges usually over-read at the same time. Mine does that as well. Thanks for the tip on how to fix that one.

4. Radd Cruisers

Radd Cruisers

Just fishing here, is it possible to put the thermostat in backwords?

Rob

5. David*BJ70

David*BJ70 Looking forward to reach the end of the world

6. silvercrusher

silvercrusher

Since it isn't overheating it is probably ok. The spring on the t-stat is new and may take awhile to pop when its supposed to. Give it a month and see. I would put in a mech temp gauge and watch that. Those oem gauges are crap. Real gauges will save you hours of wondering.

Cheers
    Challis

7. Diescipel

Diescipel

What temp t-stat did you put in? Did you have an 82 degree replaced with an 88? I just replaced my 88 with an 82--down here in relatively warmer Cali the 88 would do what you describe your rig doing now, and the 82 does what you describe your temp did before the work was done. Just a thought.

B

8. randman59

randman59

They only sell 88 degree t-stats here. I talked to a Toyota mechanic yesterday who indicated that this is quite normal. Thanks for all the help.

9. Eric Winkworth

Eric Winkworth

What do you mean normal, does it just have to break in?

10. randman59

randman59

My understanding is the T-stats are slow opening when new, the spring should soften up in a while.

11. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

My 88 degree stat works quite well everywhere even in Phoenix last week at 105 with the A/C running and the truck grossly overloaded!!