BJ60 fuel tank removal and emission tube#3 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I dropped the tank on an '85 BJ60 to replace a cracked fuel suction tube. Possibly my least favorite job to date. While the tank is out, I want to replace old and rusty with the cleanest parts I can find. There is an evaporation line, 77244-60140 fuel emission tube#3, back there, and if I'm going to replace it, now is the time.
Question: How important would it be to replace this line?
I like replacing any corroded parts with new, but I'm also willing to let sleeping bears lie. There are quite a few bolts to break free, just to pull it.
The line has exterior corrosion, but I plan on chemically treating the entire rear of the truck now that the tank is out, but I don't know how tragic a pinhole leak would be, if it developed in, what I'm told is a ventilation line.
Thanks for any info..

That is a terrible job, I had the same thing though, I dont remember for sure as it was 7-8 years ago, but I think I used a fj60 sender unit, and it only had one port? I know my fuel return line isnt connected though, and I dont recall hooking up a evap line?
Hopefully someone else can chime in, but that is a horrible job.

Regardless its been my daily driver and no problems on that front.

I assume we're talking about the hard line mounted over the diff, where the rear seatbelts bolt up?

I recently did a complete fuel system rebuild, and in all my reading the best I could determine is that it's fine to run without that line. So, I would think a pinhole leak wouldn't be a problem. That said, I'm no expert so if it were me - I would source a rust free one and replace it. Though breaking all those bolts would suck.

Cheers,
Yes, that is the line georgebj60. I've had all the bolts sprayed with Parts Blaster for many moons now, in preparation. But geez, that line runs all over the place.
This is my daily driver/work truck as well samwise, so it's good to hear you haven't any troubles without it connected. This is a slightly vital means of transportation, so I want to do it right, but I also know that a perfectionist, over engineered element exists within me, and I need to know when to hold 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom