BJ60 engine not in straight! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
eurasiaoverland.com
Hi All

I'm stripping down a BJ60 for a complete rebuild and have been spending a lot of time staring at the thing from all angles. And I'm damn sure the engine is not in straight! What I mean by this is that centre line of the engine and the centre line of the chassis are not quite parallel (they are also offset, but that's nothing unusual). I think it's because the 3B is wide at the front left (vacuum pump on the timing case) and the H55F transfer box is wide on the right.

This is a unusual 1989 BJ60 with the 3Bii engine, RHD and only sold on the global market (I'm in SE Asia), it's in mechanically excellent condition, straight as a die and very original. There is no frame damage (not even a spot of rust), engine number matches etc etc. In other words I'm sure it came from the factory exactly as it is (though it did have an H55F swapped in instead of the factory H41). It also has 567,000 kms on the clock so if something was majorly wrong with it, it would show by now.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Do other BJ60s also have this quirk?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi, in my case it was using a 2 F mount in one side making it Leaning to the left, new mounts and all back to normal!!

I'm not 100% positive on the BJ, but for HJ's, from factory, the engine is not parallel to the frame. It's angled in the engine bay by a few degrees.

1981HJ60TOYOTALANDCRUISERDELUXEBROWN 13.jpg

I'm not 100% positive on the BJ, but for HJ's, from factory, the engine is not parallel to the frame. It's angled in the engine bay by a few degrees.

View attachment 2468308

Great to hear that. I was pretty certain that it was normal, thanks for the confirmation.

I'm planning on doing an engine swap and was most worried about some wise ass telling me I'd got the engine in at a slant and having to make the excuse that 'its meant to be at an angle 🤔'. Now I have backup 😁

Hi, in my case it was using a 2 F mount in one side making it Leaning to the left, new mounts and all back to normal!!

Thanks but the engine is off centre-line, not off level 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom