BJ56 Does it exist? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got to admit there is not a lot of info regarding diesel 5# ,so is this the real thing?
As it was previously owned by the Indonesian military ,it may have had the 14B fitted as a special order. I know the Indonesian’s get specially built Landrovers similar the Aust army
http://www.geocities.com/sudde01/tlc.html?200518

tlc_commando_3.jpg

that engine wasn't around when the 56 was discontinued in 1980.
that seems like a reall mixmash of parts, 55 body in the most part, 70 series lights, i have no idea where the back bumper came from, front and rear fender flares that are definately not for a 55 series, that dash is no 56 series dash,
nope that is a basterdized rig...

love the front bumper, it really shows how the 70 series got it's design...
love the egnien compartment sound deadening....

crushers said:
that engine wasn't around when the 56 was discontinued in 1980.
that seems like a reall mixmash of parts, 55 body in the most part, 70 series lights, i have no idea where the back bumper came from, front and rear fender flares that are definately not for a 55 series, that dash is no 56 series dash,
nope that is a basterdized rig...

love the front bumper, it really shows how the 70 series got it's design...
love the egnien compartment sound deadening....

I noticed it had a lot of improvements but Im still curious as to why he calls it a 56.
I sent him an email ,so well see:D

Ive also never seem amby doors like that on a ausse pig.:eek:
I suspect a lot of the body improvements have come from Japan,they have that look:D
tlc_commando_4.jpg

Looks to me like one of those Third World specials, very common back in Venezuela. Take a beat-up old FJ55, do a drivetrain swap/update (no oem lights available? Put some from a newer Cruiser on, we have those in stock), let loose some old-school metal workers on it and then do some mods to "update" the body.

Very common with FJ40's and 45 troopies in Venezuela, I've seen a few with the roof welded to the body and the lines cleaned and painted over so it looks seamless. You'd also be hard-pressed to find an FJ40 in Venezuela that *doesn't* have 70 series turn signals.

I doubt it's one of the famed BJ56's, but if it is, we need a picture of the VIN tag, that should be interesting!

I don't see any leaf springs. Maybe a custom 55 body on an 80 series chassis? Very cool though.

you are right, in the one pic you can clearly see the coils coils up front and probably out back as well...
interesting

wow, I can really see a j77 in that 55.

interesting rig for sure.

isn't a j56 just a 75+ jap spec 55?

from the spec sheet

Multilink coil spring on rigid cardan both front and rear. All are completed with 10 shock absorbers, 4 in front and 6 rear.

crushers said:
you are right, in the one pic you can clearly see the coils coils up front and probably out back as well...
interesting

these guys have been reading way too many 4X4 mags produced in America...
6 shocks in the rear?!?

Landpimp is right. FJ56 is what they call the petrol 55 in Japan when they get the 2F. Dunno about the BJ56.

The rear barn doors are more 70 series style. The factory 55 barn doors are symmetrical. I know there are a lot of good body men/panel beaters in Indonesia and with the cheap labor there anything is possible.

Dave

Ok I concede there is probably no diesel 55/56.
The Foreign toyota page says the differnces between a 55 and a 56 are body differnences.
It seemed to me a H or B diesel pig would have made sense even then.

hey, you tried...
i think it is cool that someone would try to preserve such an ugly rig by updating the parts... a ton of work there...
cheers

Ihave heard a few times that there were factory H diesel pigs in OZ, never seen any pics or proof tp back it up however

roscoFJ73 said:
Ok I concede there is probably no diesel 55/56.
The Foreign toyota page says the differnces between a 55 and a 56 are body differnences.
It seemed to me a H or B diesel pig would have made sense even then.

I checked all of my sources and there was never a BJ56 or HJ56 on the FJ56 wich was the FJ55 from years 78-80 The FJ56 is a little wider and a little taller than the 55.

Cheers,

Michael

tlcruiserman said:
I checked all of my sources and there was never a BJ56 or HJ56 on the FJ56 wich was the FJ55 from years 78-80 The FJ56 is a little wider and a little taller than the 55.

Cheers,

Michael

Can you clarify, Michael? Is it the body itself? I thought the FJ56 just had minor update changes, are you sure there's two different bodies? I can't find reference to that in any of my brochures, and I have a late model Japanese FJ55 brochure (lists the FJ55, BTW, not the FJ56).

Exiled said:
Can you clarify, Michael? Is it the body itself? I thought the FJ56 just had minor update changes, are you sure there's two different bodies? I can't find reference to that in any of my brochures, and I have a late model Japanese FJ55 brochure (lists the FJ55, BTW, not the FJ56).

This explains some of the body differences here,look under the FJ5# section.

http://www.brian894x4.com/FOREIGNTOYOTAMAINPAGE.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom