BJ49 Farm Truck. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Before you get too excited, no this is not an original truck, no this thread is not going to move any faster then my glacier paced work truck thread, which the title of that thread should probably be changed to wifes future farrier truck ;) Anyway here is my explanation of the BJ49: FJ40 body + BJ60 drivetrain - part of tub + frame length and + dual rear tires. I am just really excited about getting this going as I have constantly beaked about Old School is best, but I don't walk the walk, so I am going to try to make this my daily driver as I miss daily driving a 40 and I am even going to try to drive it through winter! -40 here I come (although I might opt to my new school 2000 dodge 3500 for those really cold days).

Here is the rough plan, and note this year is only get it to BJ42 level, the chop and other things will get done over the next few years as I find the time and mostly after I finish the mine truck:
Step 1 - drag bj60 carcus to Dan in Kamloops to put it into a FJ40 frame and body. Done (just as covid was hitting the fan ;) )
Step 2 - get a few things completed up here and pull axles from Blue 42 for temp use while I build new sprung over axles using 60 axles. Mostly done, and have to haul them down to Kamloops
Step 3 - Dan getting 40 drivable with 3b drivetrain - starting on it now
Step 4 - Drive for while possibly build front deer bumper
Step 5 - Chop tub, extend frame, install wider axles so I can run dually in rear with the adapters I already got and the 36 militaries I already bought when I first dreamed up this idea last winter and Dan agreed to take on step 3
Step 6 - turbo, intercooler. and modify deck to be dump (stealing this and airbags from mine truck build I think)
Step 7 - enjoy as a farm truck/daily driver as I was finding I have spent too much and get upset driving my dodge around town and banging up on the farm with simple tasks that don't require huge horsepower and rolling coal ;)

Here are current pics and a few trucks that have inspired this build:
IMG_2373.JPG

IMG_2339.JPG

99IMG_2222.jpg

00e35dce49c254b314e2070afc584556.jpg

006fj45dd.jpg

Here are a few more inspirations and a few things I have been working on all summer while it's been raining ;)
IMG_2253.JPG

IMG_2329.PNG

dually cruiser front bumper.jpg

IMG_2393.PNG

IMG_2421.JPG

And a final few of where I am currently at. Dan said he has pulled both trucks apart and is currently staring to put engine into 40. Hoping to be done cleaning up my axles by end of summer and Dan to be done in fall sometime so I can start driving it to work!
IMG_2443.JPG

IMG_2451.JPG

IMG_2815.JPG

IMG_2992.JPG

IMG_2523.JPG

was wondering if there'd be a build thread. planning for a stock sized 45 cab then? didn't try to talk Jim out of his future project as a base for this build?

Yeah, just thought I should document things just so I have timelines written down and I can go back to see when I did what, sort of like how I can see how long I’ve been working on the mine truck ;) plus every now and then I’ll scroll through a thread to see how the truck changed like my 42 thread or the wagon. Whereas my photos I take just get lost on some Zip disk.
I’ll probably build a slightly larger cab so that it’s comfy for my long legs, but it’s not going to be a long distance driver so doesn’t have to be super comfy. It won’t be much bigger cab but 2-4 inches bigger then 45 cab?

Last edited:
Finished Step two and got the parts down to Dan, while he had the 3b mocked up, then sandblasted the frame when I was dropping things off a couple weeks ago. Progress!

IMG_3552.JPG

here are a couple pics Dan sent a few weeks before I dropped things off and before the tub got pulled and frame blasted:
Resized_20200829_141945.jpg

Resized_20200904_150904.jpg

So Dan has been sending the odd pic over the year, so I thought I would share as he is getting close to being done.
IMG_4041.JPG

IMG_4042.JPG

IMG_4043.JPG

IMG_4044.JPG

IMG_4045.JPG

Can't wait to see this thing in person and start driving it around ;)
IMG_4046.JPG

IMG_4047.JPG

IMG_4049.JPG

IMG_4050.JPG

IMG_4051.JPG

Well, Dan finished up and I got the truck home this weekend, super pumped, thanks Dan for a good start to my Farm truck build! Note the hard top colour is off because HomeHardware ran out of the colour in most stores in BC, but I did have my father inlaw pick up some in Alberta for me to get it all one colour eventually ;) Just a few small things to do, but should be ready for daily driving soon ;)
IMG_4271.JPG

IMG_4277.JPG

IMG_4287.JPG

Last edited:
Looking good! :) I just picked up a BJ60 (see my sig line); needs to mechanical TLC but it's got a lot of good bones!

Nice Rob, what's the plan with the 60?

Repair (not restore) it to factory. Holy cow, it's been a year since I checked this thread!? YIKES!! Almost done, just a new E-brake cable, and I've got an exhaust/turbo leak at 2500 RPM I need to sort out.

Did you use part of my old orange tub in your build? I was looking through the thread and saw what looked like my old tub patch panels (never seen them off before LOL) Funny where these parts end up.
:beer:

Got an update on the farm truck? @Deny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom