BJ46 Brake Booster Upgrade/Alternative (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been lurking on this site for a while after I bought my RHD 3b, 5 speed 84 BJ46. Recently had to replace my alternator (quite a task to find) and now I think my brake booster is bad. Super hard pedal while driving and while turned off. Or the vacuum pump on the alternator isn’t working properly. I had to ship my old alternator out in order for them to ship me the new one and I left the small banjo bolt in the old alternator. I found one here that fit and does not leak. However it was a little different than the stock one. I was wondering if anyone knew of a upgrade or alternativIes to the factory brake booster or could give some words of wisdom on the different banjo bolt. Any advice at this point is greatly appreciated I only have a month to get her moving right before I ship her back to the states.

75AEADFF-26BC-46AC-971D-74DF4569B8A4.jpeg

If you had brakes before you swapped alternators then I would certainly check vacuum before doing anythingbelse.

Does that brake booster work on a hydro boost system?
No, it works on vacuum but being a 3B they are low on it so use a pump on alternator not manifold presure. It will have a tank under the floor it uses to store it.
System works we as long as the pump works and is plumbed correctly

Ya the brakes were a little off when the alternator went bad. I figured it was all connected to the same issue but now I think they both failed at the same time. I will check vacuum on the pump first and see where that leads me. The new alternator came with a new pump but that doesn’t mean it’s a good pump.

There’s an NPR alternator I’ve read will work. The vacuum canisters are prone to rusting out. @Awl_TEQ makes/made replacement ones. I’ve also seen inventive homemade ones.

The 80 series booster I’m running provides awesome boost. It requires little effort to stop super quick. It happened to come from a diesel JDM 80, but I believe they’re all the same.

Your booster should hold vacuum for a long time... although I’ve found holding vacuum doesn’t mean it’s working. If you pull the vacuum line and check valve it should hold vacuum even after you shut down.

I’ve considered a reservoir on my Ford diesel, however after replacing the vacuum pump a second time, it is no longer necessary.

Ya after pulling the main line off the vacuum pump and putting a line straight to the booster I found that the booster and pump were both working since I had good brakes after doing so. So I started to try and find my leak in the system. I found 2 tiny holes in my tank. Pulled the tank put some good ole JB weld over them, spray painted it black and put her back together. Brakes work great. Still might look into getting that 80 series booster since I’m already here in japan and have plenty of junk yards to choose from. Thanks for the help all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom