BJ45 24v glow plug issue?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well its finely cooled off some and the troopy reluctant to preheat as I would expect it to. The glow plug indicator only stays lit for a couple seconds then goes off. There is plenty of white smoke after multiple attempts to start it also. I have other diesels including some tractors and it doesn't seem like they are working.

I have had suspicions that the glow plugs may not be functioning properly but it has been so warm it hasn't been an issue. I read up on taking the bus bar off and checking the Ohms to see if they are equal across the board. However if they aren't getting current to the plugs (very loose theory) then where would I start testing?

You can run power right to the bus bar to eliminate the glow plugs as the issue. 15 seconds of glow, see if it fires up. If not you need glow plugs. I usually pull them out and apply voltage to them and check that they glow. Just one bad one will produce smoke and hard starting.

@whitey45 , does it matter if he has a SuperGlow system? I thought due to the way SG was designed, sending full power to the bus bar provided too much voltage and could damage (in the long run) the glow plugs.

I don’t remember what the numbers are for 24V, but in a 12V SuperGlow system the plugs are rated around 6.5V.

My process has been nearly identical, though, I’ve been applying power to the exact same place that the Glow Plug Relay #1 connects, which introduces the same resistance and steps down the voltage before the glow plugs.

SG plugs for 24v are 14.5v.

Post some pics of your indicator light. Also confirm the voltage of the truck.

My 24v BJ44 had the same issues with superglow and I found that the PO had put in 24v plugs and not the correct ones for superglow. It meant I was only getting a 2 to 3 second glow and then a trailing half glow for 20 more. Might as well have been starting cold. Swapped the plugs for correct and all was good

I have extra B series 14.5v plugs if anyone needs any. I don't have a B series engine any more so these need to go...

There is a great thread started by @lostmarbles called:

Which plugs should I be running - B, 2B, 3B, H and 2H diesels

(I’m not sure how to imbed the direct link)

very helpful...

I thought my system was screwed up, but turns out I was running on three plugs for years, and it only failed when I lost another plug. 4 new plugs and even the indicator worked perfectly.

Maybe this will work?

Good information!!
thanks

Do you wait to hear the 2nd click before firing up? The SG system is kinda a 2 stage you turn the key then wait 3 sec or so and will hear a noticable click then fire it up.

That's what i am not hearing. It wasn't too cold this morning but i changed the Bus bar and the glow plugs yesterday. Glow plug light lit up as usual for 2-3 seconds but then it fired right up. Encouraging since it was in the low 40's when i left for work.

I just replaced my set of glowplugs and they work fine. I noticed with my old set of glowplugs would take a while to heat up and spits out white smoke during initial startup. Since I also have a voltmeter on my dashboard, I only noticed very slight voltage drop when I switch on the glow system. After replacing my set of glowplugs with new ones, no more white smoke, engine runs a bit smoother during startups (but hey, its a diesel) and when I turn on the glow system, there is quite amount of voltage juice sucked in when I hold back the glow switch. That tells me that I made the good decision to change my plugs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom