BJ44 1981 Newbie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purchased a 1981 BJ44 and have the following questions:

* Lift kit (2", 2.5", 3" or 4")
- Is the BJ44 springs the same as on the BJ42? Front and rear?
- What's best kit to install
- Shock replacements recommendations? Extend brakelines steel braided etc.

* Has original split rims
- Keep for daily driver or get new rims/tires
- If lift is installed, should the tires be upsized slightly to increase overall speed on highway

* 2b Diesel engine
- Is it possible for a turbo be installed on this engine? If so, is it advisable
- Has a buzzer that sounds when you hit 65 mph; should I disable or heed the warning
- Any transmission issues I should worry about?

* Misc
- Sound deadening foam for the tub recommendations?
- Front bumper wench recommendations
- Any other suggestions to make as reliable as possible?
- Roof rack and diesel can recommendations
- Cross country shipper recommendations?

Thanks for your insights,

RideGuy

Welcome to Mud! The diesel section is your friend. So is the search function.

Probably the same springs. The rear of the 44 would be a bit heavier due to the longer body but probable not much. I have the OME 2.5" "soft" and love them.

No turbo. From what I understand there are oil passages in a 3b that are not in a 2b. You could turbo it, but I am not an expert.

why the buzzer? rev limiter?

no transmission worries if it operates correctly.

You can run 33's on a 3b. more than that is not recomended for highway use.

Make your own? ARB? search? matter of preference really.

I like my wench in the passenger seat, not on the front bumper. She doesnt like sitting on the winch.

PICS!!

good luck.

I thought the 2B should have the piston skirt cooling? If it does, turbo as much as you like - if not, turbo, but keep boost single digits and tune to keep the exhaust temperature below 1100 degrees Fahrenheit, with the sensor probe Before the turbo.
The 65 MPH buzzer is a JDM thing I think, dispose of it, but IMHO, you don't want to drive a 40 faster than that anyhow, unless it has power steering...My FJ45 used to pull 150 with no difficulty, had 60 series power steering and disc brakes. (and a tricked up 2F)

Last edited:
Springs are not the same I'm the rear. Some have used 45 rears and removed some leaves as the 45 is a 1ton and the 44 is a 1/2 ton truck. Custom would be best.

Slight turbo is probably ok despite the lack of piston squirters.

Anyway- you just need to get to know what you have first then most of the questions you have will be able to be answered with experience. The 2b is a good solid engine but it had its limits- slow and smoky at high altitudes. larger lift with tires will slow down the engine very noticeably.

I hate those buzzers! Easy to remove once you've learned how to snake your hand behind the speedo cluster to remove and install the speedo cable. They are a JDM thing in case you didn't notice you were speeding (100km national limit) but you'll really barely hear it with the 2b screaming away at 65mph. Not the best truck for the interstate.

What's your intended use?

Pete

1st, my apologies for not responding to the thoughtful replies...life got in the way.

2nd and as a recap, I followed a lot of he advice and got a 2.5” old man emu lift, 31” tires and new steel OEM rims.

During this process the main journal bearing failed and I ended up swapping the 2B diesel with a rebuilt 3B diesel with a turbo. While in there, added new clutch assy, repainted fire wall with original color and black POR chassis.

I was ready to be done but have one option I could do now for very inexpensive cost. A local mechanic has offered to coat the exterior tub with a Rhinoliner like coating in a color of my choosing. This would stop all the rust issues I have on the tub but this is sort of irreversible if I don’t like it.

Has anyone done this? I have a 1981 BJ44 and while I don’t plan on selling does this greatly harm the resale value?

Thanks and any advice would be appreciated.

Ride Guy

Ok. I shant ;)

Your advice mirrored my internal inclinations so I’m glad there is no dissonance.

Best bet is to cut out the few areas of rust on the tub, weld in metal sections and paint. The roof is fiberglass and needs some touch ups at the rim. Is there a best way to tackle that?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom