BJ43 proof of date manufactured HELP HELP HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello please can someone help me .

I have a Land Cruiser BJ43 that came from Shri Lanka to the UK. I have all imports documents and HMRC paperwork, my problem is the DVLA need written conformation of the year of manufacture of my land cruiser BJ43. I have a copy of the ``Shri Lanka document but this not acceptable to the DVLA they need the original ? The Shri Lanka government do not release these documents only copies.

I know it is a August 1984 3ltr diesel ? according to ToyoDIY

The DVLA need something signed by a owners club or more proof of the date first built.

The chassis number is.

BJ43-004977
ENGINE B-2977
MODEL BJ43R-KC

If anyone can help with this it would be greatly appreciated, as I am getting no help from UK Toyota head office, they say they can only trace UK vehicles. I can pay for this service if you can help.

I have submitted a print out from ToyoDIY but DVLA need something more like a sign conformation from a Toyota club

Regards
Nick

0B271238-E611-4151-BC76-20017B2FC18A.jpeg

I feel for you; we lived 7 years in the UK. Nice people but quite pedantic at times. I assume there are no data plates showing month and year of manufacture? Obviously not or you wouldn't be asking. I wonder if the Sri Lanka embassy could attest as to the document's authenticity? You know some nice, official looking stamp with a signature?

Hi, the BJ has it usual identification plate. Pictures of this have been sent to the DVLA along with lots of paper work but they need something more official like a sign conformation from a Toyota club to Toyota themselves. I could try Toyota Japan as it was built there.

One of the problems is it looks band new as its totally refurbished. Usually a 1984 wouldn't look like the one I have.

One last thought is @cruiserdan is the curator of the Land Cruiser museum. He might be able to provide a letter attesting as to the manufacture date (or at least the year) based on the frame number.

If it has the usual data plate what is the model number. The mirrors on the fender are primarily Japanese Domestic Market or JDM for short. One picture from the front is not much help. More pictures and the model number would help a lot. Same with the VIN. Some members have records that would help. Here is the US we only have easy excess to 40, 45 and 55 series imported here after 1963. BJ series of any version never made it the US market.

This is all I got.. By the way it should be a soft top. It is also a "General Countries" model with JDM mirrors. Odd.

Screenshot 2022-02-07 at 13-49-01 ToyoDIY com Vehicle Selection.png

This is all I got.. By the way it should be a soft top. It is also a "General Countries" model with JDM mirrors. Odd.

View attachment 2917597

The mirrors are a mystery but the apron mount on the right side certainly doesn't look factory offset like that. I personally have a set.of aftermarket mirror like that I purchased out of Canada. The fuel filler door started 4/79. Spare tire carrier started 5/80. Obviously a very nice hard top which looks factory not Columbia made. Fender flares also looks factory which is not common. Next question is what steering wheel and transfer case. H41 four speed would have a split transfer 8/80+.

Those mirrors look exactly like the ones on our JDM BJ46. As does the hard top. The rear flares are similar but the inside lips are different.
BJ46.jpg

Why is the grille screen on the outside of the bib?

bib.jpeg

If it helps I do not see any BJ43R-KC made after 10/84. Few versions were made into 1986 the BJ43 wasn't one of them.

Doesn't what is referred to as roller support bar for winch look like what would be on later cruiser?
Here's the BJ46. It's an 83 built in March. The tn one is missing some of the pieces.

46 winch.jpg

Those mirrors look exactly like the ones on our JDM BJ46. As does the hard top. The rear flares are similar but the inside lips are different.
View attachment 2917636
40 with the mirrors on the fenders have the "LandCruiser" badge move toward the front to make space on all the examples I have seen. It's the case on your picture but it's not the case on the present BJ43.

Why is the grille screen on the outside of the bib?

View attachment 2917641
Not sure why the grill is on the front, It came like that from Shri Lanka, the BJ was owned by the Director Genral of Irrigation Department Columbo Shri Lanka , so I imagine it was government maintained, and refurbished by them ? The grill kooks better behind so I will do that job next. The winch is prop driven. thanks for your help. I think Toyota Japan might be able to help with manufacture date, if I can through to anyone. I think it is defiantly 1984 august every thing seems to point that way plus the copy document I have from Shri Lanka says manufactured 1984, also say "reconditioned" so I presume this means restored by them. the DVLA seem to need more proof so maybe I send all these comments with the paperwork, maybe it will help to prove the build date.
Many thanks for taking the time to reply and pass on the info.

The mirrors are a mystery but the apron mount on the right side certainly doesn't look factory offset like that. I personally have a set.of aftermarket mirror like that I purchased out of Canada. The fuel filler door started 4/79. Spare tire carrier started 5/80. Obviously a very nice hard top which looks factory not Columbia made. Fender flares also looks factory which is not common. Next question is what steering wheel and transfer case. H41 four speed would have a split transfer 8/80+.
I will take more photos of the gearbox and interior tomorrow. Many thanks

Not sure why the grill is on the front, It came like that from Shri Lanka, the BJ was owned by the Director Genral of Irrigation Department Columbo Shri Lanka , so I imagine it was government maintained, and refurbished by them ? The grill kooks better behind so I will do that job next. The winch is prop driven. thanks for your help. I think Toyota Japan might be able to help with manufacture date, if I can through to anyone. I think it is defiantly 1984 august every thing seems to point that way plus the copy document I have from Shri Lanka says manufactured 1984, also say "reconditioned" so I presume this means restored by them. the DVLA seem to need more proof so maybe I send all these comments with the paperwork, maybe it will help to prove the build date.
Many thanks for taking the time to reply and pass on the info.
You are almost certainly waisting your time trying to get an official document from Toyota Japan. I sincerely hope that I am wrong and that you prove me wrong. I don't think I am however.

You are almost certainly waisting your time trying to get an official document from Toyota Japan. I sincerely hope that I am wrong and that you prove me wrong. I don't think I am however.
yes I think your are most probably correct about Japan. I am struggling to get the proof of build confirmed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom